Who are the Miami-Dade shooters? Video shows 3 masked suspects moments before they opened fire
MIAMI-DADE, FLORIDA: Miami-Dade police have released CCTV footage of the suspects in the deadly shooting at El Mula banquet hall on May 30. Further details on who the trio are were not available, as police are still attempting to identify them. In the latest incident, the gunmen reportedly fired "indiscriminately" into the crowd of attendees, who were at a release party for a local rap artist. Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers and the US Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) are offering a $30,000 reward for any tips that lead to an arrest. Local businessman Marcus Lemonis is also offering a cash reward, of $100,000 for tips.
The trio is wanted for the deaths of two people following the violent shooting that left more than 20 injured. Officials on May 31 said the shooting resulted from an ongoing rivalry between two different groups and said the intended target most likely was outside the establishment at the time of the shooting. It is the second shooting in the county in just over a month. In April, a shooter gatecrashed a birthday party leading to the death of three-year-old Elijah La France. This is everything we know about the suspects.
*RELEASE OF VIDEO SURVEILLANCE* We are releasing video footage of the vehicle/subjects involved in the shooting that occurred in Northwest Miami-Dade on 5/30/21 that left two deceased and 21 others injured. Anyone with information is URGED to contact @CrimeStopper305 immediately. pic.twitter.com/X2jlxYFrEL— Miami-Dade Police (@MiamiDadePD) May 31, 2021
Who are the Miami-Dade shooters?
We know that there are three suspects involved and they all appear to be men from the CCTV footage. The trio stole the white Nissan Pathfinder around May 15, the day it was reported stolen. After the shooting on May 30, they dumped the SUV in a canal in the area of 154th Street and Northwest 2nd Avenue. The vehicle was discovered and pulled out on Monday, May 31.
The trio drove up to El Mula, left the vehicle running with the doors open and went inside to shoot attendees. Seconds later, they run back outside and exit the scene in the car. Since all three were wearing masks and hoods, it is unclear who exactly they are. Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava said at a news conference. "We will do everything, everything we can and use every resource available to bring these people to justice. We will leave no stone unturned, we will leave nothing behind to bring these shooters to justice," he said. Police director Alfredo Ramirez III also revealed that the Pathfinder had been waiting in the parking lot for 20 to 40 minutes before the shooting.
According to Ramirez III, the shooters targeted the club and it was not a random incident. It is unclear at this moment who the target was. So far, the shooting has claimed two lives - one of whom was confirmed to be Clayton Dillard III. The second victim Desmond Owens was also 26-years-old like Dillard. All others injured were identified as Black and ranged in age from 17 to 32.
As of May, Miami-Dade has seen 41 homicides, the same number it had between Jan-May in 2020. While violent crimes have fallen overall, according to police data, homicide rates remain worryingly stable. This is also the latest mass shooting on Memorial Day in South Florida. On Friday, May 28, a drive-by shooting in Wynwood, Miami left 1 dead and 6 injured.