Horrific video shows barrel of liquid nitrogen exploding in botched chemistry experiment injuring crowd

Horrific video shows barrel of liquid nitrogen exploding in botched chemistry experiment injuring crowd
The blast from the botched experiment injured 15 people including 9 children leaving the victims with severe burns took place at the House of Culture in Girona, Spain ([email protected])

GIRONA, SPAIN: A horrifying video shows the moment when a barrel of liquid nitrogen exploded during a school science experiment in Spain which caused 15 people including 9 children to be hospitalized. The blast from the botched experiment left the victims with severe burns which took place at the House of Culture in Girona, Spain. They were later treated at Placa de l'Hospital, according to Daily Mail. 

ADVERTISEMENT

The footage shows the crowd consisting mainly of students and their parents, waiting eagerly to see the experiment, some even took their phones out to record the event. Deni Jaminez, the professor behind the experiment, and his assistant were most affected by the explosion and were also rushed to Trueta hospital for emergency treatment. One of the injured is said to be 'between a serious and less serious' condition in hospital. Girona's mayor Marta Madrenas said the event was organized by the local university. The crowd was hyped by the organizers when they played 'Bruno Mars' Uptown Funk and encouraged them to look in the barrels. 

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE

Experiment gone wrong: Explosion in BYU as student attempts to brew rocket fuel in dorm

'I made a mistake': School principal breaks down in court after student suffered 3rd-degree burns in botched chemistry experiment

ADVERTISEMENT

In the footage a person can be seen pouring an unknown substance into a barrel, causing a controlled plume of smoke to rise. A second empty barrel on top of the other by another man in a grey suit jacket with the help of an assistant. The professor walks back over as the assistant struggles to move the barrels to a tense count down when the barrels suddenly explode, causing a giant smoke of white fumes to rush towards the crowd. Seconds later, the panicking bystanders can be seen fleeing while authorities alerted residents to stay away and police, emergency crews, and firemen attended. Madrenas said 'many people' were watching the explosion. 

ADVERTISEMENT



 

Liquid nitrogen is a cryogenic liquid which means it is a gas that's kept in a liquid state at extremely low temperatures. It is used in famous restaurants occasionally, to make impressive clouds when exposed to air, for example in cocktails. If it is not used and handled properly, it can cause frostbite or cryogenic burns. 

ADVERTISEMENT



 

MEAWW previously reported that a former chemistry teacher has been declared guilty of executing a botched experiment that burned a student’s body parts and left him in extreme pain. Garry Brodersen was convicted on March 9, last year, after a jury found him guilty of reckless conduct and endangering the health or life of a child. Both the charges that the 66-year-old man faced are misdemeanors. DuPage County State’s Attorney Robert Berlin said in a written statement, “Mr. Brodersen displayed extremely poor judgment when he doused a student with a dangerous chemical during a science demonstration.” The prosecutors said the former teacher of Bartlett High School poured liquid nitrogen on a student’s chest and groin area while carrying out a science demonstration in front of the class three years ago. The failed experiment burned the victim’s finger and groin. A spokesman for the state’s attorney’s office said, though the student’s consent was taken before carrying out the demonstration, he thought the chemical would be poured over his chest area, not on his groin area.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this article: Horrific video shows barrel of liquid nitrogen exploding in botched chemistry experiment injuring crowd