LETHAL COCKTAIL: Teen dies after taking ONE SIP of Pina Colada while on holiday

Shiv Mistry, a high achiever, had a dairy allergy and went into anaphylactic shock after a sip of the drink, tragically dying soon after on July 8

LETHAL COCKTAIL: Teen dies after taking ONE SIP of Pina Colada while on holiday
Shiv Mistry died after suffering a severe allergic reaction from one sip of Pina Colada on holiday (GoFundMe/Getty images)
ADVERTISEMENT

COSTA DEL SOL, SPAIN: A young British man bound for Claire College, Cambridge, died tragically after sipping a pina colada on Costa Del Sol, Spain. Shiv Mistry had just turned 18 when he died from an allergic reaction.

ADVERTISEMENT

The high achiever had a dairy allergy and went into anaphylactic shock after a sip of the drink, tragically dying soon after on July 8. A GoFundMe page has been set up in his memory by his uncle to raise money for Anaphylaxis UK.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE

Video of iconic lifeguard Terry McDermott heroically rescuing drowning child resurfaces days after his death

California grandmom, 93, dies after care home serves her dishwashing liquid instead of juice

ADVERTISEMENT

The GoFundMe page reads, "He was in Spain with his friends to celebrate finishing his exams and looking forward to attending Claire College at Cambridge University to study Medicine later this year. Shiv had an allergic reaction and went into anaphylactic shock. His friends, medics and police tried to revive him, but it was not possible. Shiv has lived with a dairy allergy since he was a little boy."

ADVERTISEMENT

Shiv was a pupil at the Royal Grammar School (RGS) in High Wycombe, and headmaster Philip Wayne said on Twitter in August, "It was a privilege to spend time with the grieving parents and sister of Shiv Mistry Y13 this morning. Shiv died whilst on holiday with his RGS friends following an anaphylactic shock".


ADVERTISEMENT


 

The teen's uncle also revealed he had only recently turned 18.

Brit, 18, was on holiday in Costa del Sol holiday ( Getty Images)
Brit, 18, was on holiday in Costa del Sol holiday ( Getty Images)

Donations have flooded the site, surpassing the original target of £1,000 ($1,150), and donation currently stands at £11,139 ($12,895).

ADVERTISEMENT

Donors also left sympathetic comments, with one writing, "A super boy just turning into a wonderful young man - a tragic loss. Best wishes to his friends and family." A friend said, "Shiv was a rare friend, who always agreed to help everyone in whichever way he could. Relishing bus journeys together every day for over four years to and from RGS, we'd formed quite a bond. He was one of the most humble people I will ever meet, despite topping the class every time. Everyone at RGS, teachers and students alike, will miss the smile and enthusiasm that Shiv always radiated. Om Shanti, my friend!"

ADVERTISEMENT

Another friend Muneeb Javed wrote: "I could not be more grateful for Shiv's life and everything he did with it. I hope he's able to rest in peace knowing the huge positive impacts he's made, both in life, and in death."

A memorial service for the tragic teen took place on 9 August.

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this article: LETHAL COCKTAIL: Teen dies after taking ONE SIP of Pina Colada while on holiday