Kiely Rodni: Search for missing teen LIMITED to a task force-based inquiry
The California teen reportedly went missing under suspicious circumstances on August 6 and was last seen at a large party
PLACER COUNTY, CALIFORNIA: Investigators announced on Monday, August 15, that the search 16-year-old missing teen Kiely Rodni will be reduced to a task force-based inquiry starting next week. The California teen reportedly went missing under suspicious circumstances on August 6 as NY Post reports that she was last seen around 12:30 am at a large party with more than 100 teens and young adults. Capt Sam Brown, of the Nevada County Sheriff's Office, said during a Monday, August 15, news briefing, "We are still looking for any clues, videos, tips, any information to help us to put pieces together and help us to direct where we're going and how we're going to continue to do a search. We are moving into a more limited but continuous search and rescue effort."
Since Rodni went missing on August 6, he claimed that the vast interagency search operation has consumed more than 9,000 man-hours. "Our biggest problem is where do we go, and how do we keep sustaining this?" he remarked. The search began last week in the vicinity of the Prosser Creek Reservoir, where the girl's phone had last been pinging, and it has since progressively increased. Police were unable to find the girl, her SUV, or any other identifying features. According to NBC News, the 16-year-old's heartbroken grandfather David Robertson thinks the teenager's Honda SUV may have clues. He pleaded to the officials, "Keep looking for the car, please."
Lt Josh Barnhart, of the Placer County Sheriff's Office, said, "I'd like to say that we're putting the pedal down, that we are continuing to work this week, and that after this week we will be modifying things to a task force style. That means our resources will continue to move forward, but in somewhat of a different manner." The people have been mostly cooperative, according to Barnhart, as the FBI has teamed up with local officers to interview guests at the party and adjacent residents. He said, "I would say, for the most part, everyone has been very cooperative.” Detectives also overcame early opposition from at least one parent who is believed to have instructed their party-goers' children not to assist in the inquiry.
Barnhart said, "Many people have come forward and given us information, but we haven't run into very large roadblocks and people not wanting to give us information. I think [that] was probably an isolated incident that we were able to get past." Meanwhile, anyone with information is asked to call the Placer County Sheriff’s Office’s dedicated tip line at 530-581-6320. Callers can choose to stay anonymous while submitting any information. Those with photos and videos may send them to officials from here. On August 13, Truckee Regional Park hosted a country music concert in Rodni's honor. Family and friends gathered for a concert to honor the missing teen's love of music. A website along with a GoFundMe page was created earlier as well that received over $54k as donations so far to support the family in difficult times.