Kayleigh Burns: Asthmatic 16-year-old dies at house party after inhaling laughing gas

Moments after inhaling the gas, she reported feeling 'very hot' before collapsing and requiring an ambulance

Kayleigh Burns: Asthmatic 16-year-old dies at house party after inhaling laughing gas
Kayleigh Burns, from Halewood, died at a house party in Leamington Spa (Facebook)
ADVERTISEMENT

LEAMINGTON SPA, WARWICKSHIRE: A 16-year-old girl named Kayleigh Burns died after inhaling laughing gas on June 4. Kayleigh, who was asthmatic, collapsed at a house party in Leamington Spa, Warwickshire, shortly after she was filmed inhaling laughing gas. The specific cause of her death has not yet been revealed. 

ADVERTISEMENT

On the evening of June 4, her sister Clare Baker, 31, heard from one of Kayleigh's friends that she had been taken to the hospital in an ambulance. Clare made frantic calls to the local hospitals in an effort to reach her younger sister. Later that day, Merseyside Police arrived at her house to inform her that Kayleigh, who was only a few weeks away from turning 17, had passed unexpectedly.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE 

Elderly woman FORCED to show husband's dead body on video call to certify his death as doctor refused to visit

The brutal slaying of Lilia Valutyte: Girl, 9, stabbed to death as she played with sister just 'yards from mom'

ADVERTISEMENT

Kayleigh Burns. (Photo via Facebook)
Kayleigh Burns wanted to be an airhostess (Facebook)

"My sister was only 16, almost 17, and she was the most amazing little girl ever. The bond that we had, I can't even describe. Kayleigh grew up and had a good childhood and she was in a loving family. As she grew older she got mixed up with the wrong sort of people. She was interested in make-up and fashion and wanted to travel the world. She wanted to be an air hostess or work on the cruises and her life was taken away from her," Clare, from North Liverpool, told DailyMail

ADVERTISEMENT

Prior to relocating to Leamington Spa, Kayleigh, according to Clare, lived with her partner in Coventry. A week before she passed away, she had visited her family. People who attended the home party forwarded recordings of the asthmatic teenager taking nitrous oxide to Kayleigh's family. She later reported feeling "very hot" before collapsing and requiring an ambulance. According to Kayleigh's relatives, she was killed from inhaling laughing gas.

ADVERTISEMENT

Clare told The ECHO, "I will be missing a huge piece of my heart for the rest of my life now and I don't know how I'm going to go on without her. But I need to because I have kids. I want people to think about what they are taking before they take it because they're going to leave people behind who love them. People may think it is a laugh and a joke, but it's not, they're playing with their lives. I want it (nitrous oxide) to be banned. They have upped the legal age of buying it in America today to 21. I know people use it in the food industry, but I think there sound be some sort of ID card or at least an age requirement. I don't want this to happen to anybody else. We have lost our Kayleigh forever now."

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this article: Kayleigh Burns: Asthmatic 16-year-old dies at house party after inhaling laughing gas