About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Asiah Kudi: 20-month baby girl died of starvation after mother abandoned her to party in London for SIX DAYS

Verphy Kudi, the mother, returned to their Brighton flat after five days, 21 hours, and 58 minutes and found Asiah dead in her cot
Asiah Kudi and mother Verphy Kudi (Stolen From Me/YouTube)
Asiah Kudi and mother Verphy Kudi (Stolen From Me/YouTube)

BRIGHTON, ENGLAND: An inquest is scheduled to be held into the tragic death of a 20-months-old baby girl who was starved to death after being left alone by her mother for six days while she celebrated her birthday in London with her boyfriend.

Asiah Kudi was abandoned by her mother Verphy Kudi, who went to London, Coventry, and Solihull, where she partied for six days to celebrate her 18th birthday in December 2019. Verphy, now 20, returned to their Brighton flat at a “supported housing” block after five days, 21 hours, and 58 minutes and found Asiah dead in her cot. Later, an autopsy revealed that Asiah was suffering from flu and died from dehydration and starvation.


The tragic life of Alexandru Radita: Officials failed to save teen who died of STARVATION

Infant dies of starvation after parents leave twins at home without food for four days to go on drinking binge

Verphy Kudi was then jailed for nine years in August 2021 after admitting one count of manslaughter at Lewes Crown Court. During her trial, data gathered by Sussex Police, including a video clip of an event at Elephant and Castle in London where a DJ announced Kudi's birthday to the crowd were shown to the court.

Medical information regarding Asiah Kudi's cause of death will be heard at a five-day full inquest in June next year. Kudi, who is believed to serving her time at HMP Bronzefield, will be moved to another prison before the inquest. However, she will not be present at the hearing. During the inquest, medical experts, social workers as well as pediatricians, and forensic investigators are expected to take the stand. The inquest will look into whether Kudi and Asiah had received additional assistance at the time of Asiah’s death. It will also examine the responsibilities of YMCA Downslink and the events of December 5-11, 2019.

However, at a pre-inquest hearing held on Thursday, November 24, Coroner Penelope Schofield said the unidentified father, who was 21 when Kudi got pregnant with Asiah at the age of 14, could be named as an interested person at the forthcoming inquest. The hearing was told that Kudi objected to her social care history, which runs to 3,000 pages. Both Verphy and Asiah were known to social services and were living in one of eight flats in a supported housing unit in Brighton run by YMCA DownsLink which has staff on the premises 24 hours a day. The baby was even placed on a child protection plan, according to Daily Mail.

Earlier this week, a safeguarding review by the Brighton and Hove Safeguarding Children Partnership, concluded that there was nothing the authorities could have done to prevent the tragic death. The review also stated that Asiah's death could not have been predicted as the authorities believed Verphy was a well-enough to take care of the child and a loving parent.

The pre-inquest hearing also reviewed CCTV footage from Kudi’s home which showed her leaving Asiah alone in the flat for five days, 21 hours, and 58 minutes. Prosecutor Sally Howes QC said the mother flew to London on December 5, where she celebrated her birthday with her boyfriend. Kudi returned to the flat at 3.38 pm on December 11.