Harvey Weinstein faces 25 years behind bars, indicted on multiple rape and sex crime charges

If found guilty, Harvey, who has been accused of sexual assault and rape by numerous women, will find himself behind the bars for up to 25 years.


                            Harvey Weinstein faces 25 years behind bars, indicted on multiple rape and sex crime charges

The many victims of Harvey Weinstein may finally get vindication. A grand jury has voted to indict the disgraced media mogul on charges of "Rape in the First and Third Degrees, and Criminal Sexual Act in the First Degree," according to Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr..

The news, which has brought Harvey one step closer to being behind bars, was made public on Wednesday afternoon, hours after Weinstein said he would not testify before the grand jury.

If he is found guilty, the Miramax co-founder could be imprisoned for up to 25 years.  

“This indictment brings the defendant another step closer to accountability for the crimes of violence with which he is now charged,” the DA was quoted by Deadline.

Knowing the public interest and media frenzy over this trial, he also added, “Our office will try this case not in the press, but in the courtroom where it belongs." 

He also took a dig at Harvey for attacking the "the integrity of the survivors and the legal process," calling it predictable. "We are confident that when the jury hears the evidence, it will reject these attacks out of hand," he said.  

Harvey Weinstein arrives for arraignment at Manhattan Criminal Courthouse in handcuffs after being arrested and processed on charges of rape, committing a criminal sex act, sexual abuse and sexual misconduct on May 25, 2018 in New York City. (Getty Images)
Harvey Weinstein arrives for arraignment at Manhattan Criminal Courthouse in handcuffs after being arrested and processed on charges of rape, committing a criminal sex act, sexual abuse and sexual misconduct on May 25, 2018 in New York City. (Getty Images)

The former Hollywood bigwig, who turned himself in last Friday, earlier in the day refused to appear before the grand jury and issued a statement via his spokesperson, in which he expressed dissatisfaction over the limited time he got to prepare to testify. 

He apparently learned the specific charges and the accusers’ identities only after turning himself in but his request for more time was denied. 

DA Vance also thanked Commissioner James O’Neill and members of the New York City police department, who are still investigating the case, for their dedication.  

The 66-year-old former producer is facing charges of rape and criminal sex act involving two women in New York.

At least a dozen more women have accused him of sexual misconduct ranging from harassment to assault. He is also being investigated by police in California and the UK.