Gorilla Glue Challenge: Louisiana's Len Martin in ER after he glued Solo Cup to face to prove Tessica Brown was 'lying'
Len Martin, 37, was warned beforehand that he might lose part of his lips in his attempt to prove that 'Gorilla Glue Girl' Tessica Brown's hair disaster was overly exaggerated
In yet another bizarre Gorilla Glue emergency, a Louisiana man had to visit the ER after he stuck a red Solo cup to his face. 37-year-old Len Martin was warned he may lose part of his lips after his attempts to prove that "Gorilla Glue Girl" Tessica Brown's hair disaster was overly exaggerated, The Sun reported.
Martin was seen on an Instagram video sitting at a table before grabbing hold of the industrial-grade adhesive. Gorilla Glue is used to fix bathroom tiles, wood flooring, decking, and is strictly not for use on skin or hair.
"I've got some Gorilla glue right here. I'm going to take it and put it on this cup, and put it on my mouth," he said in the video, as he tried to prove that viral stories about Tessica Brown having a medical emergency after putting Gorilla Glue on her hair on TikTok were not real.
Martin was seen dismissing the strength of the adhesive as "super glue really" before taking off the cap and saying he would simply "lick it off - easy." During the stunt, Martin rebuffed Brown's disastrous experience, which saw the same glue stick down her hair for a month, as "garbage."
Martin urged viewers to "watch" him as he applied glue around the rim of the red cup and directly stuck it around his mouth. In a later update, however, Martin wrote: "I thought that chick with the gorilla glue was making that story up. But no, it's real. I don't know why I tried it. Now they talking bout cutting the tip of my lips off in surgery…yall pray for me #gorrilagluechallenge smh [sic]."
According to a report by Illinois Daily News, Martin ended up in the ER, where a doctor carried out a "painful peeling" of his skin. He was warned the tip of his tongue may have to be surgically sliced off if it didn't heal properly.
"This is not the challenge you want to try!" Martin told Fox 8 in a message to people who may try to copy him. "Did you see what the lady did with the Gorilla Glue on her hair? I thought she was playing around. I didn’t think it was that serious, that Gorilla Glue did all of that." He added: "I was trying to show people that it wasn’t as serious as she was making it to be. I put Gorilla Glue in a cup, placed it on my mouth for a few seconds, and started to lick it off, but that didn’t work."
Brown, who also hails from Louisiana, was forced to see a surgeon after the superglue remover and acetone failed to remove the super-strong adhesive out of her hair.
Gorilla Glue Co. subsequently released a statement addressing the issue and apologized for the "unfortunate incident," wishing Brown a speedy recovery. The company went on to include a disclaimer in their statement, specifying that their products are dangerous if they come in contact with skin, eyes, or hair.
"We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best," the company tweeted.
We are very sorry to hear about the unfortunate incident that Miss Brown experienced using our Spray Adhesive on her hair. We are glad to see in her recent video that Miss Brown has received medical treatment from her local medical facility and wish her the best. pic.twitter.com/SoCvwxdrGc— Gorilla Glue (@GorillaGlue) February 8, 2021
Meanwhile, the disclaimer noted: "Our spray adhesive states in the warning label 'do not swallow; do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing.' It is used for craft, home, auto or office projects to mount things to surfaces such as paper, cardboard, wood, laminate, and fabric."