Colton Underwood is announced as the next 'Bachelor' and fans are NOT happy at all
Fans of 'The Bachelor' franchise took to Twitter to express their feelings on the pick for the next Bachelor and it wasn't good.
On Tuesday, ABC announced on ‘Good Morning America’ that Colton Underwood would be the next Bachelor. Appearing on both ‘The Bachelorette’ and most recently ‘Bachelor In Paradise’, many thought that Underwood, 26, wasn’t ready for the role. There were other strong contenders, specifically Blake Horstmann and Jason Tartick, who many were hoping would get the job. Horstmann was the runner-up on the most recent season of ‘The Bachelorette’ and Tartick came in third. Out of the three, Underwood is the youngest and seems to have the least amount of experience in the dating department. As a 26-year-old former pro-football player, the world was shocked when he told Bachelorette Becca Kufrin that he was indeed a virgin.
While his lack of experience in the romance department certainly isn’t the reason fans are questioning Underwood’s motives, it does raise some questions as to why the 26-year-old heartthrob is still single. And if you are thinking his choice to remain celibate is because of religious reasons, it isn’t. It wasn’t until ‘The Bachelorette’ that he came clean to the world (and many of his family and friends) about his lack of experience in the bedroom. Is it any of our business? No! But with that being said, it begs the question…is this man ready to get married?
Another red flag is that many think Underwood has been out for fame from the get-go. Previously linked to gymnast Aly Raisman at the peak of her fame, Underwood asked Raisman out (whom he had no connection to prior) via a YouTube video. Not long after the breakup and before the next Bachelorette was announced, he slid into Tia Booth’s DMs, a contestant from the previous season of ‘The Bachelor’ that was rumored to be the next Bachelorette. He flew her out to meet him for a romantic weekend, and unfortunately for them both, Kufrin was chosen for ‘The Bachelorette’ instead of Booth.
Since Underwood had already applied and had been accepted to be on the next season of ‘The Bachelorette’, their romance ended…that is until ‘Bachelor In Paradise’. Booth had made it very clear to the world that she wasn’t over Underwood, so they, of course, got together in paradise. After a tumultuous relationship on the summer dating show, Underwood declared that Booth deserved better than him and both left paradise separately.
Cut to what audiences saw as a day later (which in reality, was about two months later), Underwood is now declaring to the world that he is ready to find a wife. Say, what? This was very confusing and infuriating to a big percentage of Bachelor Nation, who have been thinking from the start that Underwood was not “there for the right reasons.” It feels like every season some fans are unhappy about the ABC’s choice for the Bachelor, but the uproar this announcement has caused is unlike one we have ever seen.
Dear Producers of #TheBachelor. Your audience here (30yo woman with nothing better to do on a Monday night). We are NOT interested in a 26yo virgin with a self-named charity and no job. This ego-driven Ken doll reflects our worst online dates, as opposed to an actual fantasy.— Elyse Ross Weiss (@er2225) September 4, 2018
Not really a huge fan of the pick for the new #TheBachelor— Lunchbox (@RadioLunchbox) September 4, 2018
Feel like they have been FORCING him down our throats and trying to MAKE us like him for 2 seasons
People think we aren’t serious about not watching the next season of #TheBachelor just watch and see the viewing numbers go down. STRIKE 1 is Nick, STRIKE 2 is Arie, and just so you know I’m not going to stick around for STRIKE 3 #BachelorNation— Colton Not My Bachelor (@bachnationunite) September 1, 2018
Colton is gonna be #TheBachelor to find a wife, yet he’s gonna dump a girl a few days after asking to be her bf and saying he only wants to commit to her?? HE DOESNT KNOW WHAT HES DOING. He needs to date more in the real world before he proposes— ohreallyyeah (@ohhhreallyyeahh) September 6, 2018
These are just a few of the THOUSANDS of angry tweets from #BachelorNation. Sure, there is a handful of fans excited about the choice, but the haters outweigh the lovers by a landslide. Even creator of the franchise Mike Fleiss tweeted this after the announcement, acknowledging the naysayers:
Are you happy about the choice? Excited for next season? Let us know your thoughts on what will most likely be a never-ending debate!