CNN could sue White House after Donald Trump administration revokes Jim Acosta's media credentials
Floyd Abrams, an expert in First Amendment law, said that the television network had a strong case against the White House after Acosta's press access was revoked last week.
CNN could be preparing to sue the White House days after President Donald Trump's administration revoked Jim Acosta's media credentials, according to reports.
A veteran lawyer and expert in First Amendment law, Floyd Abrams, while talking to CNN's Reliable Sources on Sunday, said that the television network had a strong case against the White House after Acosta's press access was revoked last week.
"I think it's a really strong lawsuit. I can understand CNN being reluctant to sue because the president keeps saying CNN is the enemy of me, and CNN might have the reluctance to have a lawsuit titled 'CNN vs. Donald Trump.' That said, yes, I think they should sue," Abrams said.
Former ABC News reporter and anchor Sam Donaldson also appeared on the CNN program and said that he had been approached to assist in preparing an affidavit to support CNN in the potential case.
Donaldson, on Sunday, said that not only the Trump administration's decision to ban Acosta was "wrong and unfair" but also "dangerous to the press as a whole." Although for former news reporter initially said that according to his understanding, CNN and Acosta had filed a lawsuit in the case, the television network later clarified that they have not yet reached a decision in regards to a legal action.
CNN, in a statement, said: "No decisions have been made. We have reached out to the White House and gotten no response."
Trump to CNN’s Jim Acosta: "You should let me run the country. You run CNN."— Ryan Saavedra (@RealSaavedra) November 7, 2018
"That's enough. Put down the mic. CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them. You are a rude terrible person." pic.twitter.com/xpRU9oakpf
The White House banned CNN's Acosta last week after a heated exchange with the president during a press conference. The White House released a video — which is believed to be altered — to show that Acosta made a physical contact with a White House intern, citing that as a reason for the ban. Trump, however, denied the suggestions and stated that the video was not doctored and was simply a "close-up" of the incident.
However, a frame-by-frame comparison of the video posted by White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the one taken by the Associated Press, showed that the video tweeted by Sanders appears to speed up Acosta's arm movement when he makes contact with a young intern trying to take away his microphone during Wednesday's press conference. The speed-up footage makes the gesture look threatening.
I'm posting this close up not to bolster my argument that Jim Acosta did nothing wrong, because I think that's pretty clear. Instead, look at the way this staffer keeps looking to Trump for confirmation on each attempt. It's so creepy. This blind obedience is cult like. pic.twitter.com/PRLBxkoCHI— Amee Vanderpool (@girlsreallyrule) November 8, 2018
Trump, while talking about Acosta on Friday, said: "He's a very unprofessional guy. I don't think he's a smart person but he has a loud voice. You have to treat the White House with respect. You have to treat the presidency with respect." The president also suggested that there "could be other" reporters whose credentials could be revoked.