Arnold Schwarzenegger says he "stepped over the line" several times with women
When Schwarzenegger was hit with the accusations, he had denied them, while his campaign had brushed it off as a political attack on his career
Long before the iconic #MeToo movement was able to out sexual predators like Harvey Weinstein, Louis CK among other, our very own favorite Terminator — Arnold Schwarzenegger — was accused by multiple women of groping and humiliating them.
It was all the way back in 2003 when the actor was running for governor of California. He did what every man in power hit with those allegations has always done — denied them, while his political campaign tried to mask it off as an elaborate opposition agenda against his chances at running for office.
But looking back now, Schwarzenegger seemingly thinks differently about the whole scenario. "Looking back, I stepped over the line several times, and I was the first one to say sorry," he shared with Men's Health magazine. "I feel bad about it, and I apologize. When I became governor, I wanted to make sure that no one, including me, ever makes this mistake," he added. "That's why we took sexual-harassment courses, to have a clear understanding, from a legal point of view and also from a regular behavior point of view, of what is accepted and what is not."
Last year, as the #MeToo movement was able to call out and take down one powerful man after another, starting with Weinstein, essentially, it managed to create the upsurge of a tidal wave of conversation about gender disparity and the treatment of women, internationally.
The allegations against Weinstein have been the most widely covered ones and they include those of rape, harassment, assault, sexual misconduct and so on. Despite over 80 women coming forward with their accounts — and most of them prominent Hollywood A-listers too — Weinstein has continued to deny "any allegations of nonconsensual sex" through a spokesperson repeatedly.
So far, he has pleaded not guilty to six sex crime charges in New York itself, including two counts of rape. Most recently, "On Thursday, a New York judge dismissed one of the counts of criminal sexual act in the first degree against Weinstein," reports CNN.
As for Schwarzenegger, even though he left the governor's office in 2011, he wasn't criminally charged with respect to any of the allegations against him. And now, he has shared with Men's Health, that after all of this, he had not changed his views on masculinity. "I'm a guy," Schwarzenegger said. "I would not change my view of who I am." He also added: "The woman I was originally most in love with was my mother. I respected her, and she was a fantastic woman. I always had respect for women."