About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Aaron Christopher Kelly: Gunman who killed Washington Fred Meyer staffer arrested

Richland police arrested Aaron Kelly for killing a Fred Meyer employee and critically injuring another
Aaron Christopher Kelly has been arrested (Richland WA Police Department)
Aaron Christopher Kelly has been arrested (Richland WA Police Department)

The suspected gunman who killed an Instacart employee in a Washington Fred Meyer store has been arrested 130 miles away after a manhunt. Aaron Christopher Kelly, 39, has been booked by the Richland police on charges of first-degree murder of Justin Krumbah, 38, and first-degree attempted murder of another worker who was critically injured in the shooting. The suspect was detained on Interstate 90 between Sprague and Spokane, Richland police said that Kelly will be under custody in the Benton County Jail.

Security camera footage at the supermarket sighted the suspect wearing a black vest over a long-sleeved black and white plaid shirt. In the footage, Kelly and Krumbah are seen having a verbal fight that led to the deadly shooting at 11 AM. Kelly was seen fleeing the scene in a 2005 Honda Civic with the Washington license plate No. BXC3305.


Oneida Casino shooting: Three killed in 'targeted' shooting in Wisconsin hotel, gunman shot dead

Armed bystander prevents potential mass shooting at Washington Walmart store by shooting dead assailant

Richland police arrived at the scene within minutes of receiving calls from locals about the potential shooting. Justin Krumbah was announced dead on the scene and the injured store worker was transported to the local hospital and went through a critical surgery there.

A $1 million warrant was issued against Kelly. Authorities insisted that anyone who locates Kelly must not approach him as he was most likely armed and dangerous. Citizens had the instruction to call 911 or the RPD’s non-emergency dispatch line. Law enforcement across Southeastern Washington remained on high alert while searching for the man.

The manhunt for Kelly continued till Monday, February 8 night. Later ATF announced it was sending agents from its Yakima field office to assist the RP’s investigation. With at least six schools in the vicinity of the store, the area was declared to be under police-mandated lockdown. In a statement, a spokesperson for the supermarket chain said “We are deeply saddened by the incident that occurred at our Fred Meyer store located on 101 Wellsian Way in Richland, Washington. The entire Fred Meyer family offers our thoughts, prayers, and support to all affected individuals and families during this difficult time.”

“We are cooperating with local law enforcement who have secured the store and parking lot. The store will remain closed while the police investigation continues, and we have initiated counseling services for our associates.” the statement added.

After the shooting, friends and co-workers took to the internet to remember Krumbah. A GoFundMe page was also set up to raise money for his funeral expenses, and within 13 hours the page received close to $15,000 with many people sharing their condolences and prayers.