'Yorkshire Ripper' Peter Sutcliffe rushed to hospital amidst concerns of failing health

Peter Sutcliffe was ordered to serve 20 concurrent life sentences in 1981 for the murder of 13 women.


                            'Yorkshire Ripper' Peter Sutcliffe rushed to hospital amidst concerns of failing health

Peter Sutcliffe, better known as the "Yorkshire Ripper," has reportedly been rushed to hospital after his health began to fail. The 72-year-old is serving 20 concurrent sentences of life imprisonment for the murder of 13 women, as well as the attempted murder of seven others following his trial in 1981.

According to the Daily Mail, Sutcliffe was taken to the Sunderland Royal Hospital late on Sunday evening for treatment. The news was said to be confirmed by other patients at the hospital, who say they saw the serial killer surrounded by prison officers while waiting at one of the wards.

A photofit issued by the police of Peter Sutcliffe, aka 'The Yorkshire Ripper', 1979. In 1981, Sutcliffe was convicted of the murders of thirteen women and assaults on seven more. (Photo by Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)
A photofit issued by the police of Peter Sutcliffe, aka 'The Yorkshire Ripper', 1979. In 1981, Sutcliffe was convicted of the murders of thirteen women and assaults on seven more. (Photo by Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Sutcliffe, who was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia following the murders, has suffered from a host of other health issues as well. His health has allegedly been deteriorating for quite some time, with a few reports earlier in the year claiming he had gone completely blind due to complications of his diabetes.

The 72-year-old had previously lost sight in his left eye when he was attacked by another inmate in 1997. Following that incident, he apparently tried to improve the vision in his right eye through a laser eye surgery at the Sunderland Eye Infirmary but has now been left with vision in neither.

The serial killer is said to have frequented prostitutes in Leeds and Bradford before murdering them and confessed to authorities he had done so because the "voice of God" had sent him on a mission to kill them. The former lorry driver went on to carry out the murders over the course of five years between 1976 and 1981 but also targeted a number of women who were not prostitutes.

Just last year, he confessed on tape to an attack on a 14-year-old schoolgirl because he thought she was a prostitute. He said he hit the girl, one Tracy Browne, with a branch before throwing her over a wall. The teen managed to survive, however, after she managed to run to a farmworker's caravan and raised the alarm.

The High Court dismissed his appeal in 2010 and confirmed he would serve a whole life order and never be released from custody. He was ruled mentally fit to return to prison in August 2016 and was housed at the  HM Prison Frankland in Durham.