Woman gets her fingers blown up after she mistakes dynamite for candle during blackout

The 30-year-old woman, according to reports, lit a “quarter stick of dynamite” in her home during a blackout, thinking it was a candle


                            Woman gets her fingers blown up after she mistakes dynamite for candle during blackout

A woman in Connecticut was recently hospitalized after she accidentally mistook a dynamite stick for a candle and lit it in the middle of a blackout, according to a report by People Magazine. The Bridgeport Fire Department apparently responded to a phone call on Thursday night regarding the woman who apparently sustained serious injuries to her hand due to the mistake.

The 30-year-old woman, according to reports, lit a “quarter stick of dynamite” in her home during a blackout, thinking it was a candle. It is being said that the dynamite had been left in her house by the previous occupants of the place.

As per police spokesman Av Harris, the injured woman was rushed to Bridgeport Hospital after the accident, post which she was transferred to Yale New Haven Hospital. “She suffered extreme injuries to one of her hands,” Harris said. “She also suffered serious injuries to her face.”

The 30-year-old woman, according to reports, lit a “quarter stick of dynamite” in her home during a blackout, thinking it was a candle. (source: YouTube)
The 30-year-old woman, according to reports, lit a “quarter stick of dynamite” in her home during a blackout, thinking it was a candle. (source: YouTube)

The hospitalized woman, who remains unidentified, along with her husband and two children was reportedly at home on Thursday when the family lost power after severe storms began to sweep through the area. When the family tried to make their way to a Home Depot to purchase backup lighting, they found that the store was closed.

Upon returning home, Harris said “the family remembered that when they purchased their home two years ago, there were a couple of what they thought were candles, left in the basement by the previous residents of the home or (previous) homeowners.”

When the woman lit the object, it immediately exploded in her hand and blew out at least one window in the home. Along with the trauma to her face, assistant fire chief Michael Caldaroni confirmed on Thursday evening that the mother-of-two had also lost several fingers.

After the explosion, the Bridgeport Fire Department searched the house and found what appeared to be another “dynamic device.”(source: YouTube)
After the explosion, the Bridgeport Fire Department searched the house and found what appeared to be another “dynamic device.”(source: YouTube)

Thankfully, even though the woman's husband and children were present at the time, none of them got affected by the accident. After the explosion, the Bridgeport Fire Department searched the house and found what appeared to be another “dynamic device.”

Soon, the Connecticut State Police bomb squad was involved in the case, and they helped to safely remove, detonate and dispose of the explosive. Surrounding homes in the area were also searched as a precaution, but no further explosive devices were found. 

Surrounding homes in the area were also searched as a precaution, but no further explosive devices were found. (source: YouTube)
Surrounding homes in the area were also searched as a precaution, but no further explosive devices were found. (source: YouTube)

Harris told The CTPost that no charges will be pressed against the family since the explosion was ruled a “tragic accident” by the fire marshal. However, it is still unclear as to why the previous homeowners had dynamite in their basement.

“Since this appears to have been an accident [and] the residents of this home had no prior knowledge that what they had in their home were explosive devices not permitted by law, the Bridgeport police will not be pressing any charges as a result of this incident at this time,” Harris explained.