Woman, 21, dropped off at ER by NFL star Montae Nicholson died of fentanyl overdose, death ruled 'accidental'

Julia Crabbe was "unconscious and unresponsive" and was pronounced dead shortly after being dropped at the hospital. The NFL star has not been formally charged in the death


                            Woman, 21, dropped off at ER by NFL star Montae Nicholson died of fentanyl overdose, death ruled 'accidental'
Montae Nicholson. (Loudoun County Sheriff's Office)

The 21-year-old woman, who was dropped off at the emergency room of a hospital in Ashburn by National Football League (NFL) star Montae Nicholson, passed away because of an accidental fentanyl overdose, according to reports. Julia Crabbe, of Reston, Virginia, was driven to Inova Emergency Room-Ashburn Health Plex on Novemer 14 by Washington Redskins safety Nicholson, 24, and a friend. 

Crabbe was "unconscious and unresponsive" and was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at 1:30 am. The Medical Examiner autopsy report released on Monday finally revealed the cause of her death as fentanyl overdose. The Medical Examiner said: "The manner of death is accident and the cause of death is fentanyl intoxication."

The Loudoun County Sheriff's Office released a statement on Monday, saying that the investigation into the 21-year-old's death is currently ongoing and officials are trying to determine the source of the drug that killed her, the Washington Post reported. Crabbe was reportedly at Nicholson's home in Ashburn before her sudden collapse. 

Officials reportedly searched Nicholson's home after Crabbe's death and found pills, marijuana, some residue in foil, an iPhone and a notebookamong other items. The NFL star has not been formally charged in the woman's death.

Montae Nicholson #35 of the Washington Redskins reacts after a missed field goal by the Dallas Cowboys as time expired in the game at FedExField on October 21, 2018 in Landover, Maryland.  (Getty Images)

According to Nicholson's attorney, Mark Dycio, the player and some friends had gone out for dinner earlier that evening before returning to Nicholson's home. He told Crabbe's brother that when Crabbe went upstairs to use the bathroom, some people were playing video games in the lower level of his home. They reportedly heard a thump and rushed upstairs and found Crabbe lying on the floor of the bathroom. Crabbe's family said that the people there had to force the door of the bathroom open to reach her. 

According to a search warrant, Nicholson’s friend, Kyle Askew-Collins, reportedly called an unnamed person and told them that Crabbe was foaming at the mouth and was believed to be overdosing. The person was on their way to Nicholson's house to help her when a friend called to say they were taking Crabbe to a hospital. No 911 call was made during the incident. 

The lawyer added: "Montae would have no knowledge of the drugs because they belonged to a guest. It's a tragic story. It's a tragedy that the news is focused on where she died instead of the drug epidemic ravaging the country." 

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514