Who was Umm Ziyad? YouTuber dies in geyser gas leak exactly one year to the day she faked her death in video
In a bizarre occurrence, a popular YouTuber died on April 9, exactly a year after she faked her own death in a video that was broadcasted on her channel.
Umm Ziyad, who ran the popular Diary of Umm Ziyad YouTube channel and was based in Egypt, reportedly passed away on Friday, last week, which marked exactly a year to the day since she had fabricated a death scene for content. The news of her death was announced by Ziyad’s brother, YouTuber Hamdi. He said that his sister died from a lack of oxygen as she suffocated when there was a geyser gas leak.
Who was Umm Ziyad?
Ziyad had nearly 700,000 subscribers on her YouTube channel, where she documented interactions between her family members. Following her demise, her fans flocked to social media platforms to mourn her passing.
In a video from April 9, 2020, Ziyad pretended to die in front of her husband and children while filming what appears to be a mukbang, which is an online audiovisual broadcast in which a host consumes various quantities of food while interacting with the audience. Such broadcasts became popular in South Korea in 2010, and since then has become a huge worldwide trend. Varieties of foods, ranging from pizza to noodles, are consumed in front of a camera.
According to ARY News, she wanted to see the reactions of her family members to her death. The video was re-uploaded to her YouTube Channel, following her death.
Apparently, days before her death, she appeared in a video talking about her suffering. Ziyad confirmed that she had not been infected with Covid-19, but the matter had something to do with suffocation due to the lack of oxygen. At the time she seemed very exhausted, which affected her tone during the conversation, Gulf News reported.
No other details are available regarding her death. Ziyad is not the only YouTuber who tragically died this month.
Although the use of instant gas geysers in bathrooms to get hot water has become popular because of its cost-effectiveness, it may be risky and can claim lives if proper safety measures are not followed. Gas geysers are connected to Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) cylinders and the gas inside is a combination of butane and propane. Usually, on combustion, it produces carbon dioxide and water. But when placed inside a poorly ventilated bathroom, with little oxygen, it results in a release of carbon monoxide (CO). Altering the temperature while the geyser is on can lead to incomplete combustion, which can produce poisonous gases, leading to gas poisoning including carbon monoxide poisoning that may prove fatal.
YouTuber Adam Perkins' death
Earlier this month, we reported that Vine star and Instagram influencer Adam Perkins died on April 11, 2021. The heartbreaking announcement was made by his identical twin brother, Patrick. A photographer, and art director by profession, Patrick took to Instagram to lament the loss of his brother. "Being a twin is a very central part of my identity. It’s all I’ve known. And I’m struggling to find the words to explain what it will be like for me to live in this world without him. My best friend," Patrick wrote alongside a photo of himself with Adam.
Adam Perkins was a highly followed star on Vine. He was famous for popularizing #whiteteen on the app and had close to 290,000 people following him for his highly engaging six-second videos. When the app shut down, Adam used Instagram to connect with his fans, and even though he wasn't a verified account, "the composer, musician, and spreadsheet wizkid" had 45.6K followers on Instagram and the comments on each post prove that he was a star in his own right.