Who is Van Marcus Redding? Dad arrested after son, 4, dies of fentanyl overdose
CARNEGIE, PENNSYLVANIA: A Pennsylvania father was arrested after his four-year-old son died from a fentanyl overdose. The boy died in May but the father was charged in July because the police department was waiting for the toxicology report.
Van Marcus Redding, 36, was denied bail and is listed for a preliminary hearing on Friday, July 9. Police reports reveal that Avant Redding, 4, died on May 7, 2021, after ingesting fentanyl at a residence on Hutton Street in Carnegie. According to police, Van got into a car accident while rushing his son to St Clair Hospital. He told the police department that he had taken the child to McDonald’s and shortly after they came home, the boy began to vomit. The child later died at the hospital.
'The Business of Drugs': How the dark web facilitates illicit drug trade across borders
DMX's drug abuse: A look at how rapper's crack addiction began as he remains on life support following overdose
We have reported similar incidents in the past. Last year, we reported the death of two-year-old Jasani Kerry who died of acute fentanyl toxicity after overdosing on drugs, his mother is facing murder charges for his death. Another Pennsylvania couple was arrested after their one-year-old boy was found dead overdosed on fentanyl at home.
While investigating Redding’s home on Hulton Street in Carnegie, police discovered a bag of white powder, which was later identified as fentanyl. “The father had fentanyl in the residence. The child had contact with the fentanyl and is now dead. It’s just an example of the dangers of this horribly powerful drug that’s taken the lives of so many people”, said Allegheny County Police Assistant Superintendent Victor Joseph. Van is scheduled to have his preliminary hearing on July 9, and he is currently being held in the Allegheny County Jail.
The boy died in May but the police had to wait until now to charge Van because they needed the results of the toxicology report, which allowed the Allegheny County Medical Examiner to determine a cause of death. That toxicology report concluded that the boy died of exposure to fentanyl.
Van is now facing charges of involuntary manslaughter, endangering the welfare of children and possession with intent to deliver. “These are the worst types of cases, any time you have a child die. This is a tragic example of the opioid crisis and dangers of heroin and fentanyl,” said Joseph.