Two-year-old boy left 'infertile' after doctors operate on wrong testicle and 'castrated him' by mistake
The boy's father said that doctors discovered his son's undescended testicle during a routine check-up and he was then referred to a specialist, who booked him in for an operation
A two-year-old boy from Exeter, England, was left infertile after surgeons operated on the wrong testicle. The boy was reportedly admitted to Bristol Royal Hospital for Children earlier this week to get treatment for an undescended testicle. The hospital trust later issued an apology for the bungle, according to reports.
The boy's father, whose name was not revealed, told BBC that surgeons at the hospital operated on the wrong testicle by mistake and "castrated him" in the process. Shortly after the incident, the University Hospitals Briston NHS Foundation Trust apologized for the mistake and said that it has launched an investigation into the matter.
The father said that doctors discovered his son's undescended testicle during a routine check-up and he was then referred to a specialist, who booked him in for an operation at the Bristol Royal Hospital for Children. The operation was scheduled to last for around 30 minutes.
The family said that they were informed by the surgeons that it was "just a minimal operation" with "minimal risk" and would be over in around 30 minutes. The father said: "We were waiting and waiting. After two and a half hours, the manager, surgeons and consultants came and I knew something was not right."
Boy, 2, 'castrated' after surgeons operate on wrong testicle https://t.co/CMfxjdDB3K— BBC News England (@BBCEngland) December 21, 2018
"Me and my wife started panicking, they called us into the office and told us things didn't go right and the operation wasn't a success," he told BBC.
Reports state that the couple was informed that a surgeon had mistakenly inserted a camera "into the wrong side" and that their son's healthy testicle would "never work".
"I was very distressed, it was an awful disaster for a simple operation. They destroyed everything and they ruined my son," his father said. "They castrated him and now my son's future life has dramatically changed." The boy's mother said that the news broke her heart and that what the surgeons had done was "absolutely horrible".
"They broke my heart and they basically destroyed his future," she said. "I can't find the words to explain how I'm feeling — there are no words. Even tears, I have no more tears. We just hope for a miracle, this is what we hope."
The Trust's medical director Dr. William Oldfield, in a statement, issued an apology, saying: "On behalf of the Trust, I am deeply sorry that a serious incident has occurred in the treatment of a young child in our care and would like to offer our sincerest apologies. As soon as our staff realized what had happened, they met with the family to offer their apologies and explain what had happened."
"We take patient safety and standards of clinical care very seriously and have begun a thorough investigation into this matter and will work with the family throughout this process. I would again like to offer my apologies to the family for this incident," the statement added.