‘Chemical spill’ on Philadelphia-bound American Airlines flight leaves crew unconscious, passengers suffer ‘burning eyes’
The flight to Philadelphia was diverted to Dublin airport at 1 p.m. after a bleach-like cleaning liquid spilled.
Two American Airlines crew members reportedly passed out and passengers suffered "burning eyes" on a flight heading from London Heathrow to Philadelphia on Monday after a "chemical spill" on the aircraft.
Reports state that the AA flight AA729 from London Heathrow to Philadelphia was diverted to Dublin airport around 1 p.m. after a bleach-like cleaning liquid spilled.
At least two crew members and five passengers were rushed to the hospital after the plane landed, the airline told Sun Online. The pilot, on the Air Traffic Control audio, said the Callington cleaning product had been used at London Heathrow, however, it had been left in one of the aircraft toilets.
The chemical had reportedly spilled and seeped into the carpet of the aircraft, resulting in the passengers and crew suffering from the ill effects of its smell. Two of the crew members lost consciousness and multiple passengers on board complained of itchy skin and "burning eyes." The plane has now landed in Dublin, according to reports.
An American Airlines spokesperson released a statement, saying: "American Airlines flight 729 from London Heathrow to Philadelphia diverted to Dublin due to an odor caused by a spilled cleaning solution in the galley. The flight landed safely in Dublin at 1.15 pm (UK time), and taxied to the gate. Medical personnel have met the aircraft to evaluate any crew members or passengers who may need additional assistance. Two crew members and five customers were transported to the hospital for evaluation."
A spokesperson for Dublin Airport also released a statement explaining the situation: "American Airlines flight AA729 on route from London Heathrow to Philadelphia was diverted into Dublin Airport for a medical emergency. The aircraft landed safely at approximately 1.20 pm. As per standard operating procedures, there was a full turn out of Dublin Airport's emergency fire services."