West Hollywood City Councils calls for 'removal' of Trumps' Hollywood Walk of Fame star
The West Hollywood City Council passed a resolution Monday night asking to have President Trump's star removed from the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
On Monday night, the West Hollywood City Council unanimously voted to permanently remove President Donald Trump's star from the Hollywood Walk of Fame, according to a tweet by the city’s mayor.
“West Hollywood City council unanimously passes a resolution asking the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce to remove the Donald Trump star on Hollywood Walk of Fame,” announced Mayor John Duran on Twitter.
But several experts are saying that it's not their decision to make and that the vote does not matter.
The commander-in-chief's star was completely destroyed for the second time just around two weeks ago, and the 24-year-old man, who used a pickaxe to destroy the same immediately turned himself into the authorities.
West Hollywood's council's resolution intends to urge the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce and the Los Angeles City Council to take the radical step of permanently removing Trump's legacy from the historic pavement, reported The Washington Times.
During the council meeting, Duran said the resolution “is not because of his conservative politics or his conservative policies. It is for the abuse of women, minorities, immigrants, the disabled … you’ve crossed a line of decency.”
He also derided Trump supporters in their response, saying it was about what he had expected.
“Unfortunately some of the comments made by the Trump supporters tonight are a reflection of that anger and angst and divisiveness. If anyone ever needed to solidify my vote on this, the Trump supporters who showed up tonight … pretty much solidified that what we’re doing is right.”
However, legally speaking, the star, located on Hollywood Boulevard near Highland Avenue, is the property of Los Angeles city and not just West Hollywood. Furthermore, past efforts to remove the stars of disgraced actors including Bill Cosby and Kevin Spacey have been refused by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce.
As reported by the Los Angeles Times, during efforts to remove Cosby's marker, Leron Gubler, the erstwhile president and chief executive of the chamber, had said, "Once a star has been added to the walk, it is considered a part of the historic fabric of the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Because of this, we have never removed a star from the walk.”
But according to the West Hollywood council, the primary reason behind their vote was Trump’s “disturbing treatment of women and other actions that do not meet the shared values of the City of West Hollywood, the region, state, and country.”
In a conversation with The Wrap on Monday, West Hollywood Mayor Pro Tem John D’Amico said, “The West Hollywood City Council did not pass the resolution because Donald Trump is a conservative or a Republican. Earning a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is an honor. When one belittles and attacks minorities, immigrants, people with disabilities or women — the honor no longer exists.”
The US President received the star, made from Terrazzo marble, in 2007 for his accolades in the world of entertainment, namely as host of "The Apprentice."
The star was previously destroyed just days ahead of Trump's election as president in October 2016, and it has been defaced and vandalized several times since he took office.