National Guard pilot dead and brother paralyzed after trip to scatter their father's ashes ends in a tragic plane crash

The pilot, who died, is the father of a 16-month-old boy and their family was just dealing with the loss of one of their family members when this tragedy struck.

                            National Guard pilot dead and brother paralyzed after trip to scatter their father's ashes ends in a tragic plane crash

On Friday afternoon, in a tragic turn of events, a plane crash left a 34-year-old Army National Guard pilot dead and his brother paralyzed from the waist down. According to the Plymouth County District Attorney’s office, the plane went down in flames near Cranland Airport in Hanson, Massachusetts, claiming the life of Scott Landis, a father of a 16-month-old boy.

Scott was accompanied by his 29-year-old brother, Patrick Landis, while he was going to spread their late father's ashes. According to their aunt, Marie Conway Real, Patrick is currently being treated at Tufts Medical Center and has “sustained too many broken bones to count, a broken back and a severed spinal cord,” leaving him paralyzed.


On a GoFundMe page created by Marie for Patrick, she wrote: “Currently on a ventilator to help him heal, he is going to have years of recovery. My sister, his mom, lost her husband of 40 years, her 1st born son 10 days later and is now going to need to take care of her paralyzed son. Please consider donating. They need all the help they can get.”

Another GoFundMe page, created by Scott's family, has raised over $56,000 since. On the page, one family member wrote: “He left behind his loving wife, Staci, and beautiful child, Jack, who could really use your help in this difficult time.” After his father's death, Scott took leave from a tour of duty in Kosovo and was due to return on Saturday, according to NECN.

Adam Proulx, a close friend of his, told the news outlet that Scott "had really grand plans for him and his family, and it’s gone." Speaking of Patrick, Proulx said, "He's in bad, bad shape. He suffered a lot of injuries as a result of the crash. He's paralyzed from the waist down. Doctors are very confident he's never going to walk again."

Scott was a dear friend of Peter Oakley,  the owner and manager of Cranland Airport, who called him a “salt of the earth” man. He revealed that Scott flew his son and wife to Martha's Vineyard just a couple of days ago for lunch.

After the plane crash, Patrick was trapped in the water, reported NBC Boston. “It was heavy, thick brush that we were working with, and mud conditions, along with aviation fuel in the water, so Hanson Police and Hansen Fire worked together to extricate him,” Hanson Fire Deputy Chief Rob O’Brien told the news outlet. “They did have to use sawzalls and hand tools to remove part of the aircraft.”

Sgt. Peter Daley of the Hanson Police Dept added: “From the time the call came in to extrication was probably 15 minutes, and they were both taken out simultaneously."

According to the District Attorney’s Office, the Federal Aviation Administration is currently investigating the crash. However, Scott did everything he could have during the untoward accident, Proulx said.“We are all confident that he did the best that he thought he could do with what he was provided with altitude and speed,” he said. “It just didn’t work out.”