Toddler almost dies after contracting bacterial pneumonia from popcorn kernel that got stuck in his lung

2-year-old Nash Goddard was subsequently put under anesthesia and the surgeon performed two separate operations in order to get the pieces of popcorn out of his lung.


                            Toddler almost dies after contracting bacterial pneumonia from popcorn kernel that got stuck in his lung

A 2-year-old child almost died in a shocking incident after eating popcorn when one of the kernels got lodged in his lungs and ended up causing a bacterial infection that turned into pneumonia.

Nash Goddard choked on the snack for a brief moment but recovered almost immediately when he was watching a film with his parents at the family home in Denver, Colorado, on February 16. The following day, however, he developed a weird-sounding cough and then came down with a fever.

His 39-year-old mother Nicole Goddard tucked him into bed and immediately called the doctor who told her to take her son to the hospital immediately because of the concerning symptoms. Additional tests on the little boy showed that he had developed pneumonia from the pieces of aspirated popcorn, reported the Daily Mail.



 

This means that his body treated the popcorn pieces as "foreign object" and created pus-filled pockets around it. Fortunately, the 2-year-old only spent three days in the hospital after which he was allowed to go home and has since made a full recovery.

Nicole, who is a mother-of-three and a flight attendant, said: "Nash didn't cough anything up when he had his choking fit, so we presumed he just swallowed it. We had no idea popcorn would have caused such an ordeal, it was a nightmare. I paced and cried the entire time my little man was in [the hospital]."

While the family was at Children's Hospital in Aurora, Colorado, Nash got an x-ray done and was referred for a bronchoscopy after the doctor "didn't like what he saw". 

The little boy was subsequently put under anesthesia and the surgeon performed two separate operations in order to get the pieces of popcorn out of his lung.

Thirty nine-year-old Jake Goddard, Nash's father, who is also a flight attendant, was away on work but managed to reach the hospital just in time to see his son in the recovery room.



 

Nicole said in the lengthy Facebook post: "The surgeons successfully removed six pieces of popcorn from Nash's lungs, but were concerned they hadn't managed to remove all of it due to the inflammation. Two days later, Nash went in for a second surgery where they were able to remove the last piece of popcorn. He was a little rock star post-surgery and was sent home the same evening as the surgery as he recovered so well."

After the stressed-out ordeal, the mother warned other parents about the risks of children under the age of five eating popcorn. She added in the post: "We've happily given popcorn to Nash's sisters, Ashlee [nine] and Reagan [seven] and not had any problems - I had no idea you weren't supposed to give it to children under five. Jake and I are so happy our little man turned out OK - if I hadn't of trusted my instinct and brought him into the hospital, the outcome wouldn't have been good."