About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Killer teen who battered angler, 48, to death with plank of wood for hiding fishing gear dies in prison

The teen, his brother and cousin, punched, kicked, stabbed Wilkinson and then hit his head with the plank after his partner left the campsite
UPDATED MAY 24, 2020
Lenny Crawt (Surrey Police)
Lenny Crawt (Surrey Police)

A 19-year-old, who was jailed for beating an angler to death with a plank of wood, has reportedly been found dead in his prison cell. The teen, identified as Lenny Crawt, was convicted last year in March for the murder of 48-year-old Scott Wilkinson in Walton-on-Thames, Surrey.

Wilkinson was murdered in July 2016. Along with Lenny, his brother Shane Crawt, 19, and cousin, Charlie Smith, 24,  were also convicted for their involvement in the fatal beating. Lenny and Shane were both found guilty of murder at the time of the trial and were given life sentences. While Smith was sentenced to 13 years of imprisonment for manslaughter.

Lenny was found dead on May 16 around 5.30 am in his cell at Aylesbury Young Offenders Institution in Buckinghamshire. His body was found by staff conducting routine checks in prison cells. Reports state that his death is currently being treated as non-suspicious. 

A prison service spokesperson released a statement regarding the incident, saying: "HMP Aylesbury prisoner Lenny Crawt died on 16 May. As with all deaths in custody there will be an independent investigation by the Prisons and Probation Ombudsman," according to the Sun.

During the trial, it was revealed that the assault on Wilkinson was planned. Lenny, Shane, and Smith carried out the killing on Donkey Island in Surrey, where Wilkinson had gone on a brief fishing trip. The trio, who had been camping on the island, reportedly punched, kicked, and stabbed Wilkinson before hitting his head with a plank of wood.

The incident came to light after Wilkinson's campsite was found abandoned with markings of blood. Authorities later discovered his body from the nearby River Thames. Wilkinson, at the time of the attack, had been wearing a heart monitor, and its reading suggested that the 48-year-old had not died until three hours after the brutal assault.

Initially, the trio denied involvement in the murder, and later attempted to blame each other for Wilkinson's killing. Although no definitive motive could be established in the case, the presiding judge at the time said that this was not a "motiveless crime."

Judge Johnathan Black had said: "This was not a senseless, motiveless crime. There were intimations that robbery had been planned, or he was to be taught a lesson as he had removed and hidden your fishing gear. It is quite clear the three of you discussed how the combined attack was to be carried out. The defendants had a motive, they waited until it was dark, they waited until [Mr Wilkinson's partner] Lisa Lane left the island and they armed themselves with a weapon."

After the trio's sentencing Detective Inspector Paddy Mayers, who had led the probe into the murder, also released a statement, saying that the officers' thoughts were with Wilkinson's family.

"The sentences given today reflect the severity of the ferocious actions the three took that night back in 2016," Mayers had said. "Today and always our thoughts and sympathies remain with Scott's family. I hope the sentences can begin to provide them with some closure for what happened knowing that those responsible are finally where they belong."