Taylor Swift's father fights off burglar in his $4M Florida penthouse, later identifies him in police lineup

Scott Swift found the man in his home on January 17 and when he confronted the burglar, he fled the scene

                            Taylor Swift's father fights off burglar in his $4M Florida penthouse, later identifies him in police lineup
Scott Kingsley Swift, Taylor Swift (Getty Images)

When Scott Swift, father of Taylor Swift, arrived at his $4 million Florida penthouse, the last thing he was probably expecting to find was an unidentified man waiting for him.

Swift entered his home around 10 pm on January 17 and confronted the man he found in his house. The two got into a fight before the intruder fled the scene. Swift later picked the man out of a police photo lineup.

The intruder has been identified as 30-year-old Terrence Hoover. Reports say he entered Swift's home using an emergency escape stairwell to climb to the penthouse 13 floors above, entering the residence just 30 seconds before Swift arrived.

Hoover's mother claims that this is all a big mistake. She told The Tamba Bay Times that her son simply got lost while looking for his estranged wife, and claims that him ending up in Swift's home was an accident. By the time Swift picked him out of a lineup, Hoover had already called to report the incident but police were unable to find him until last week following which they arrested him and charged him with burglary.

Currently, it is unclear whether Hoover specifically targetted the penthouse due to its connection with Taylor.

This is not Hoover's first run-in with the law. His record includes charges of 'domestic violence by strangulation, aggravated battery, burglary, aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and kidnapping and false imprisonment'.

Taylor was not present during the incident. Fresh off the heels of her documentary 'Miss Americana', her new song 'Only The Young' is already climbing charts around the world. But despite the successes, the singer is also dealing with some personal troubles. She recently shared that doctors found a tumour in her mother's brain while she was undergoing chemotherapy.

Despite her parents having separated in 2012, the two have remained on good terms and the family has stayed close.

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514