SuperMansion Summer Vacation Special: 8 reasons why Rex and the gang must be on your watchlist
Robobot's cuteness, 'Saw' references and some insane fight moves that include jellyfish, octopuses, red-eyed sharks and Barack Obama.
Titanium Rex fans put on your best floral shirt and get that Hawaiian bendover ready because Rex and the gang are coming back for a summer special! Sony Crackle just announced a special treat for all 'SuperMansion' fans, 'Summer Vacation Special' with our odd superheroes as they fight the bad guys in Hawaii. You can love 'em, you can hate 'em but you can't ignore them... who are we kidding? You can't help but love these guys.
As usual, the team's plans to do things go horribly and hilariously wrong. 'Super Mansion: Summer vacation Special' features the voices of Bryan Cranston as Titanium Rex, Tucker Gilmore as Black Saturn, Jillian Bell as Lex, Heidi Gardner as Cooch and Keegan-Michael Key as American Ranger. There's also the very exciting surprise in the form of former POTUS Barack Obama, who will be voiced by Jay Pharoah.
The plot follows our household supers as they run into a vacationing former President Barack. Rex is determined to chill and not make any decisions while Black Saturn is "ready to get laid". Lex has her hands full with teaching Cooch how to swim and American Ranger attempts to perform in a USO show. Little do they know that their vacation is on the brink of destruction as evil threat brews under the sea.
Watch the trailer here:
If this incredibly talented lineup has got you curious, here are some reasons that will definitely get you in the mood to add 'SuperMansion: Summer vacation Special' on your watchlist this August:
1. Sarcastic, politically charged humor with some subtle burns to the relationship that the US has with Hawaii, straight from American Ranger's mouth. Like every other 'SuperMansion' series out there, the dry and in-your-face humor makes it hard not to love the show.
2. It's stop motion at its finest! 'SuperMansion' is its own league when it comes to this genre of animation. Created by Zeb Wells and Matthew Senreich, who also act as executive producers under their production company Stoopid Buddy Stoodios along with Seth Green, John Harvatine IV, and Eric Towner, this special is special indeed. Impeccably detailed with constant cuts to keep the visuals fresh, it's a treat to the eyes.
3. What I love about 'SuperMansion' is, unlike every other superhero story out there, these guys are super relatable. They aren't your garden variety strong super team - they've got their flaws. You'll see them just going about life doing things you'd do - getting groceries, have embarrassing moments and insecurities. All of their good intentioned plans fall flat and have the opposite effect, but you can't help but be like 'we've all been there!'.
4. 'SuperMansion's special has Obama smoking some green and fighting some crazy ninjas while struggling with life after his eight-year rule. Rex meets him on the holiday and becomes bffs with him. Those two appear to be friendship goals and just when you think there are enough ex POTUS jokes, another one drops in!
5. The ever so sensible Lex returns in this special. She's the superhero of the designated moms in a friend circle. She has the logical answer to things and expects her fellow supers to act the tiniest bit sensibly but as usual, is disappointed. She's taken it upon herself to teach Cooch how to swim and things don't really go as planned as Saturn decides to do things his way.
6. American Ranger's tap dancing skills are put to the test. He's got the mammoth task of dazzling the audience for a USO show where he must fight pop culture, single-handedly. He's delusional, he's silly but has a heart of gold.
7. Robobot's cuteness, 'Saw' references and some insane fight moves that include jellyfish, octopuses and red-eyed sharks, this show is set to be a ball! Oh, and did we mention more Obama jokes?
8. Unsurprisingly, there's too much 'Robot Chicken' flavor in this special. Afterall, it is directed by Alex Kamer and co-written by Zeb Wells, both of who have been a huge part of making the iconic stop-motion series come to life. Alex began his career working as a stop-motion character animator on shows including 'Adult Swim’s Robot Chicken', and 'Moral Orel'. Alex won an Emmy in 2016 for his work on 'Robot Chicken Christmas Special: The X-mas United.'
Zeb Wells, in his long stint as a writer for 'Robot Chicken' also directed multiple seasons for the comedy series. Matthew Senreich, who is the co-creator and executive producer for the special has been the creator, writer and executive producer of, you guessed it, 'Robot Chicken.' Then there's the phenomenal Seth Green of course, who has been singled out for many Emmy voiceover nominations for the same show. The special also boasts of Tom Sheppard as a co-writer. 'SuperMansion' has always been extremely popular for its snappy and funny writing and we are sure this special will not disappoint.
The all-new stop-motion animated original from Sony Crackle, 'SuperMansion: Summer Vacation Special,' premieres Thursday, August 16. Watch this space for more on Rex and his roomies.