Stranger shoves 91-year-old former Eurotunnel boss onto Tube tracks, arrested for attempted murder

Crossley on Friday was found guilty of attempted murder and the footage was played in the Old Bailey court for the first time


                            Stranger shoves 91-year-old former Eurotunnel boss onto Tube tracks, arrested for attempted murder

A terrifying CCTV camera footage shows the moment a man tried to murder former Eurotunnel boss by shoving him onto the tracks of the London Underground, just seconds before a train came into the station.

The former Eurotunnel boss, identified as 91-year-old Sir Robert Malpas, said that he felt himself "flying" on to the rails from the platform at Marble Arch after accused, identified as 46-year-old Paul Crossley, pushed him from behind with both hands on April 27, according to the Daily Mail reports. Sir Robert was knighted by the Queen in 1998. 

Crossley on Friday was found guilty of attempted murder and the footage was played in the Old Bailey court for the first time. Reports state that the accused was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia when he was 17-years-old.



 

Sir Robert was reportedly Crossley's second victim after he had earlier tried to push another man, identified as Tobias French, in front of a Tottenham Court Road. 

The 91-year-old was, however, saved by a hero passer-by, French teacher Riyad El Hussani, who leaped from the platform to save the elderly man as he lay on the tracks unable to move. Reports state that the electronic arrivals board showed just one minute until the next train.

Sir Robert, who is a retired industrialist, was left with a fractured pelvis and a gash to the head, which required at least 12 stitches. 

Sir Robert can be seen lying on the tracks as the Frenc teacher jumps down to help him.
Sir Robert can be seen lying on the tracks as the Frenc teacher jumps down to help him.

Crossley, while addressing the jurors, said that he chose his victims at random but he added that he had not intended to kill them, according to the Daily Mail. The accused, however, was found guilty of two counts of attempted murder on Friday.

Prosecutor Benjamin Aina QC, during the trial, said that Sir Robert was "in a very bad way" following the attack, however, "Fortunately he has recovered. He is able to walk and go about his normal affairs."

While the judge appreciated El Hussani's alertness and said: "Mr El Hussani showed extraordinary bravery with a complete disregard for his own safety in saving Sir Robert and he is obviously to be commended for that."