Who was Simon Currat? Colorado boy, 6, dies from RATTLESNAKE bite despite anti-venom treatment
Simon Currat was attacked by a rattlesnake while taking a water break at Bluestem Prairie Open Space in Colorado Springs
A six-year-old boy from Colorado died on Thursday after being bitten by a rattlesnake during a bike ride with his dad and sister on July 5. Simon Currat was put on life support as the attack had sent him into a coma.
The six-year-old was attacked when he, along with his father Nic and three-year-old sister Renee took a water break in the Bluestem Prairie Open Space on July 5. He was put on support after the incident but it was taken down on July 10. The Daily Mail reported that his parents “made the difficult decision” after “it was determined there were no signs of life in Simon's brain.” It was reported that on the day of the attack, Simon went ahead to check a mile marker sign while leaving his bike behind. However, as he was returning, Nic heard Simon scream, “Rattlesnake!". Security Fire Department Battalion Chief Derek Chambers said, “He yelled, 'Rattlesnake!' and then that's when the dad dropped everything and ran over to him. We believe that is when the snake bit the child."
Who is Kyle Moorman? Dad and 3 children missing during fishing trip, family offers $10K reward
Reports said Nic immediately took action and rushed to the nearest neighborhood with Simon in his arms before the paramedics arrived. The child reportedly suffered cardiac arrest and he was transported to a hospital by air, where he received anti-venom treatment. Simon was then shifted to Children's Hospital in Colorado Springs before he was eventually transferred to Aurora Hospital.
Chambers, who was one among the first responders, told CBS' local news station, “Being a dad myself, (the incident) really, really hits home. As soon as the kid was bitten, the dad grabbed him and started running toward the street ... screaming for help. It's hard to imagine what that family must be going through.”
However, the Currat family’s problems did not end there as the day when Simon was attacked, his elder sister, eight-year-old Anna “born prematurely via emergency C-Section”, “suffered a sustained seizure back at home”. A fundraiser launched to help the family financially noted, “She was taken to the Children's Hospital in Colorado Springs. She had multiple seizures. The next day, the hospital decided to transfer Anna to the same hospital her brother was at as she needed to be put on oxygen. Anna would be cleared to discharge before brother Simon passed, but due to the complexity of her care, and at the request of the family she remained hospitalized under the care of the hospital, through the journey of the last two days of Simon's life.”
The fundraiser added, “We are collecting money to help cover the medical costs of the multiple hospital stays, hospital transfers, of having his older sister Anna hospitalized at the same time, and of course, now, burial and funeral costs.”
Meanwhile, Chambers claimed Simon was the first child to die in years from a rattlesnake bite. He also advised on what to do in such an extreme condition. He stated, “Stay calm, try and slow down your heart rate as much as possible, leave the bite wound lower than the heart; don't elevate. Don't put a tourniquet on it and don't try and suck out the venom, but get the child or patient to a hospital as quick as possible.”
Who is Felix Rubio? Video shows Uvalde police restraining cop who tried to save daughter
Lt Joey Buttenwieser, Colorado Springs Fire Department, added, “The best thing to do is take a picture of it or try to get the best description of it, but make sure you can still keep your distance. We don't want to risk someone else getting struck or getting struck again by that snake.”