Seungri, suspect in Burning Sun scandal, will not be arrested as court dismisses warrant request

The former singer-songwriter along with Yuri Holdings CEO Yoo In-suk were expected to be placed under arrest after the court hearing on their warrants Tuesday. However, Judge Shin Jong Yeol of the Seoul Central District Court dismissed the request stating there was no probable cause.
PUBLISHED MAY 14, 2019

Former South Korean Big Bang member Seungri will not be arrested by police as a request for a warrant was dismissed by Seoul Central District Court.  He was one of the accused in the Burning Sun scandal, which shook the Korean entertainment industry in February.

The former singer-songwriter along with Yuri Holdings CEO Yoo In-suk were expected to be placed under arrest after the court hearing on their warrants Tuesday. However, Judge Shin Jong Yeol of the Seoul Central District Court dismissed the request stating there was no probable cause. 

According to a report in allkpop, the judge said that in Seungri and Yoo In-suk's case, "There's room to dispute the main suspicion of embezzlement. It's also difficult to acknowledge a reason for detention, such as potential destruction of evidence, for the other suspicions."

The two are facing charges of soliciting prostitution for their clients and investors, as well as for embezzling funds from Burning Sun, one of the night clubs in Seoul, where Seungri previously was the public relations director. Seungri was called in for investigation multiple times before the court hearing and he complied with the investigation and went through interrogation.

When news of the former singer soliciting prostitution broke through a chatroom, he denied allegations. It was later reported that he was also a part of the chatroom where Jung Joon-young had distributed illicit photos and videos of women who were taped without their permission.

The news of him embezzling funds from the Burning Sun club surfaced later after an investigation took place. The 'Burning Sun Scandal' also revealed there was corruption in the police department, which led to Jung Joon-young getting away scot-free once in 2016 on charges of sexual assault by his then-girlfriend.

Seungri and Jung Joon-young both offered a public apology after the news broke. While Jung Joon-young confessed to charges of taping women without permission and distributing them, Seungri has since denied all charges. 

MORE STORIES

John Oliver was bleeped out twice during his brief, 15-second Emmys acceptance speech on live television after he roasted host Nate Bargatze
Sep 15, 2025
Kevin Hart doesn't appreciate paparazzi’s question after viral video of him hosting Diddy’s party resurfaces
Apr 6, 2025
Diddy’s childhood friend Tim Patterson claims Janice Combs’s wild parties often involved pimps, homosexuals, and other adult activities
Apr 6, 2025
Lisa Marie Presley and Michael Jackson tied the knot in 1994, but she initially thought the King of Pop was a creep—and we totally get why
Apr 6, 2025
Riley Keough opens up about the Presley family curse in a candid interview while on tour for her book, 'From Here to the Great Unknown'
Apr 5, 2025
Natalie Morales hits back after her interview with Seth Meyers is removed from all platforms due to a revealing outfit
Apr 5, 2025
"Babyface, can you believe she wants me to dress like a girl?" Michael Jackson told a producer.
Apr 2, 2025
Sofia Vergara also dished out on why she doesn't ever want to play Modern Family's Gloria again
Apr 2, 2025
"It took more and more to get high, and I honestly don't know when your body decides it can't deal with it anymore," Lisa Marie Presley wrote.
Apr 1, 2025
A family member's last-minute intervention saved Michael Jackson from the 9/11 tragedy—here’s what happened
Apr 1, 2025