Sean Connery, 89, who was at his luxury Bahamas mansion when Hurricane Dorian struck says he's 'lucky' to have escaped unharmed
Connery, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest actors to take on the iconic role of James Bond, celebrated his birthday on the island on August 25. He and his wife had made preparations to weather out the storm.
Legendary actor Sean Connery is grateful to have survived Hurricane Dorian after it stormed through the Bahamas. The 89-year-old actor has confirmed that both he and his wife, painter Micheline Roquebrune, are okay and safe at his mansion in the Bahamas. Connery talked to the Scottish Daily Mail and gave updates on his well being after Dorian swept through the Bahamas leaving thousands missing and at least 30 people reported dead.
“We are both fine,” the actor said. “We were lucky compared to many others and the damage here was not great.” He continued, “We had been prepared for the storm, everything was ready in advance — we weren’t taking any chances and knew what to do.”
Connery, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest actors to take on the iconic role of James Bond, celebrated his birthday on the island on August 25. He and his wife had made preparations to weather out the storm. After wreaking havoc all over the Bahamas, Hurrican Dorian made landfall in North Carolina on September 6. Dorian had crashed into the Bahamas as its strongest hurricane on record, causing widespread devastation and multiple people dead. Airports were flooded and roads impassable after the storm parked itself over Abaco and Grand Bahama islands, battering them with winds up to 185 mph (295 kph) and torrential rain before finally moving into open waters Tuesday on a course toward Florida.
AP reports that the storm has weakened substantially in the days since, dropping from a Category 5 to a Category 2 storm before increasing again late Wednesday. Dorian could maintain this intensity for about nine hours or so before gradual weakening through Saturday, according to the National Hurricane Center.
Rescue efforts are still on in the Bahamas, with the U.S. Coast Guard, Britain's Royal Navy and a handful of aid groups attempting to get food and medicine to survivors and take the most desperate people to safety while Bahamians continue to rescue victims of the hurricane. Meanwhile, the Category 3 storm began causing damage across the Southeast U.S. seaboard early Thursday, leaving tens of thousands without power as it threatened to inundate low-lying coasts from Georgia to Virginia.