Maxim Dadashev death: Boxer's trainer was begging him to stop fatal fight two rounds earlier as he 'saw him fading'

Maxim Dadashev death: Boxer's trainer was begging him to stop fatal fight two rounds earlier as he 'saw him fading'

The trainer of Russian boxer Maxim Dadashev, who died from injuries sustained in his fight with Puerto Rico's Subriel Matias, has revealed that he thought of stopping the light-welterweight match two rounds before it was ended.

Dadashev was only 28 years old when the bout took place on Friday in Maryland and died on Tuesday, CNN reports.

"Top Rank is devastated to report that Maxim Dadashev passed away earlier this morning due to injuries sustained during last Friday's bout," Dadashev's promoter [Top Rank] said in a statement. "Maxim was a talented fighter inside the ring and a loving husband and father outside the ropes. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends."

Meanwhile, Bob Arum, founder and CEO of Top Rank, commented: "Maxim was a terrific young man. We are all saddened and affected by his untimely death."

The winner of the matchup between Dadashev and Matias — that took place at MGM National Harbor in Oxon Hill, Maryland on Friday night — would proceed to challenge reigning champ Josh Taylor for his title belt.


But Buddy McGirt, Dadashev's trainer, called to stop the fight after the 11th round.

According to ESPN's Dan Rafael, Matias was dominating the bout and led Dadashev 109-100, 108-101 and 107-102 on the scorecards when the match was stopped.

McGirt was heard in footage from the fight pleading with Dadashev to stop the fight after he was getting hit a lot.

McGirt told ESPN he thought about stopping the match in the ninth round itself. "I saw him fading, and when he came back to the corner [after the 11th round], my mind was already made up," McGirt said. "I was just asking him out of respect, but my mind was made up. I wasn't going to let him go out there."

Dadashev reportedly had to be helped out of the ring and began to vomit and lost consciousness even before making it to the dressing room, according to ESPN. He was immediately rushed to UM Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, Maryland, to undergo emergency brain surgery after being diagnosed with a subdural hematoma -- a form of bleeding in the brain.


The network further added that doctors placed Dadashe in a medically induced coma after the operation to allow the brain swelling to subside.

"As you can imagine the news this morning has devastated us all," McGirt told CNN. "Out of respect for his family, I will refrain from making any comment at this time other than to say Maxim was and always will be a phenomenal young man and boxer."

Originally hailing from St. Petersburg, Russia, Dadashev fought out of Oxnard, California, and had a stunning professional boxing record of 13 wins and just one loss. Furthermore, 10 of his wins came from technical knockouts.


That said, the tragedy is currently being investigated by the Russian Boxing Federation.


Share this article:  Russian boxer Maxim Dadashev dies brain injury during fight trainer stop bout two rounds earlier