Who is Rev Daniel Lahart? Jesuit priest fired over sexual misconduct claims from NYC school that Fauci attended
The private all-boys school is cost-free and is funded through generous contributions from its alumni, which include Dr Anthony Fauci
A Jesuit priest who is the president of New York's prestigious Regis High School is set to be removed from his position, after reports against him, suggesting sexual misconduct, came to light.
The private all-boys school is cost-free and is funded through generous contributions from its alumni, which include Dr Anthony Fauci. The school said it will fire 59-year-old Rev Daniel Lahart from his office at the educational establishment within weeks.
"The Board of Trustees has determined, based on the findings of a third-party investigator, Fr. Lahart engaged in inappropriate and unwelcome verbal communications and physical conduct, all of a sexual nature, with adult members of the Regis community, including subordinates," states a letter sent to parents. "This conduct was non-consensual, and moreover, continued notwithstanding express requests from the affected parties for the conduct to cease."
The Upper East Side situated school first got a hold of these allegations at the end of February 2021 and publicly stated on its website that Lahart, who had been the school's president since 2016, had been put on leave pending the outcome of an inquiry.
"We received information regarding the school’s President, Rev. Daniel Lahart, SJ, that raises serious questions about his ability to continue to serve this critical function. Specifically, we learned of allegations that Fr. Lahart may have behaved inappropriately in his interactions with certain adult members of our community. Importantly, these allegations do not in any way concern students, past or present," wrote the Board of Trustees Chair Anthony DiNovi. A third-party investigative firm, T&M USA, has since led 'a thorough investigation' which concluded that Lahart had actually behaved inappropriately.
The board members of the school have said that they will not be revealing any further details about the entire incident "in order to protect the privacy of the individuals involved. "We assure you that the investigation was conducted with a commitment to due process," a letter seen by the New York Post states. "Please know the Board did not come to its decision lightly and took seriously its obligation to act with transparency, integrity, and compassion in service of our community, both with respect to Fr. Lahart and to those members of our community who were harmed by his conduct."
Lahart has refused to be involved in the investigation. Although Lahart has been on official leave since the allegations surfaced in February, he will finally be removed from his post on April 21, 2021.