James Bulger's father vows he 'will not rest' until he 'exposes' the new identity of Jon Venables

In a High Court battle that took place earlier in the month, Bulger and his brother, Jimmy Bulger, lost the case to overturn the lifelong anonymity that had been granted to the murderer


                            James Bulger's father vows he 'will not rest' until he 'exposes' the new identity of Jon Venables

The father of murdered toddler James Bulger, Ralph Bulger, has said that he "will not rest" until the new identity of his son's killer Jon Venables is finally revealed. Bulger has vowed to sources close to him that he will do whatever it takes to "expose" the notorious child killer, who is now an adult. In a high court battle that took place earlier in the month, Bulger and his brother, Jimmy Bulger, lost the case to overturn the lifelong anonymity that had been granted to the murderer.

A source close to the family told the Daily Star Sunday: "'Ralph has lost his son in the worst way possible. What else does he have to lose?" The source also spoke about the verdict on March 4, which would have been James' 29th birthday. 

An undated photo of 2-year-old James Bulger, tortured and killed by Jon Venables and Robert Thompson in Bootle, England, in 1993 (Source: BWP Media via Getty Images)
An undated photo of 2-year-old James Bulger, tortured and killed by Jon Venables and Robert Thompson in Bootle, England, in 1993 (Source: BWP Media via Getty Images)

They continued: "Ralph believes Venables lost his right to protection and to live a quiet life when he continued to be evil and twisted into his adult life. He is a pedophile and a child killer for goodness sake. He will never change and so we will never stop fighting for justice. We cannot work out why he is being so well protected. But we won't stop. You watch – he will continue to be in and out of the courts on sick charges and we will never know."

Bulger had been fighting for the now 36-year-old Venables' new identity to be revealed as well as the details of the life he had led in the recent years, the Daily Mail reported. President of the High Court's Family Division, Sir Andrew McFarlane, however, rejected the case earlier this month. He said in the court: "My decision is in no way a reflection on the applicants themselves, for whom there is the most profound sympathy. The reality is that the case for varying the injunction has simply not been made."

The judge also said that the injunction was designed specifically to protect Venables from "being put to death". He added: "(Venables) is 'uniquely notorious' and there is a strong possibility, if not a probability, that if his identity were known he would be pursued resulting in grave and possibly fatal consequences. This is, therefore, a wholly exceptional case and the evidence in 2019 is more than sufficient to sustain the conclusion that there continues to be a real risk of very substantial harm to (Venables)."



 

Anyone who tries to breach the injunction will face prosecution for contempt of court. Solicitor advocate for the Bulgers, Robin Makin, spoke outside the court after the ruling and said: "The authorities seem to be hell-bent on protecting (Venables) regardless of the risk to others and this has been a primary driving force behind Ralph and Jimmy's application."

The judge also refused any permission to appeal against the ruling but Makin said that his clients may consider appealing at the Court of Appeal. Edward Fitzgerald QC, Venables' attorney had previously said that his client is at the risk of being attacked and even killed if his current identity is ever publicly known.

MEA WorldWide (MEAWW) previously reported that toddler James was abducted from the New Strand Shopping Centre in Kirby, Liverpool, in February 1993 by 10-year-olds Thompson and Venables when his mother was momentarily distracted. The two boys then led him on a 4 km (2.5 miles) walk across Liverpool to a canal, avoiding suspicion from passers-by by pretending to be his elder brothers.

Jon Venables, 10 years of age, poses for a mugshot for British authorities February 20, 1993, in the United Kingdom (Source: BWP Media via Getty Images)
Jon Venables, 10 years of age, poses for a mugshot for British authorities February 20, 1993, in the United Kingdom (Source: BWP Media via Getty Images)

Bulger was dropped on his head numerous times, with it later established in the trial that one of the boys had poured blue paint that they had shoplifted earlier into the victim's eyes. They then kicked him, stomped on him, and threw bricks and stones at him. Finally, a 22 lbs (10 kg) iron bar was dropped on him.

The two boys laid him across a railway track and weighed his head down with rubble with the aim that a passing train would kill him and would make his death appear to be an accident. Bulger's body was found one day later cleaved in two.

Venables had been living incognito under a new identity since he was released from prison but was sent back after he was convicted of possessing child abuse images in 2010 and then another time in 2018. He is currently behind bars after he received a sentence of three years and four months in February 2018.