Harry and Meghan labeled 'most despicable couple' for canceling Invictus Games fundraiser after Netflix deal

Social media users slammed Harry and Meghan for their decision with one tweeting, 'Harry, you have become a total embarrassment and your own country are ashamed of you'


                            Harry and Meghan labeled 'most despicable couple' for canceling Invictus Games fundraiser after Netflix deal
(Getty Images)

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have canceled the major fundraising Invictus Games event for wounded soldiers shortly after they signed a new deal with Netflix estimated to be worth $150 million. 

Organizers of the event had hoped that the fundraiser would raise at least $13,21,355 (£1 million) for the event which was due to be held in California in June 2021 with Netflix's rival Amazon broadcasting the event. The couple's deal with Netflix for their yet unnamed production company will reportedly see them create documentaries, feature films, scripted shows, and children's programming. 

Soon after the news started doing the rounds on social media, angry Internet users slammed Harry and Meghan for their decision with some calling them an "embarrasment." One person tweeted, "#MeghanMarkle #PrinceHarry Truly the most despicable couple out there today. If only he were man enough to question this woman’s ambitions. #InvictusGames have now been Markles ... Harry, you have become a total embarrassment and your own country are ashamed of you."



 

Another user commented and shared, "'Prince' Harry has canceled a major fundraising event for #InvictusGames in order to maintain his #NetflixDeal and I'm officially done. Disappointment level, off-the-charts. Bad form @PHarry_Meghan." Yet another added, "Boycott #netflix for working with ftard prince harry and ditch wounded soldiers #InvictusGames. Meghan [email protected]’t even pay her US taxes but gets free UK and US paid security for mansion #megxit."



 

 



 

Another outraged social media user commented, "#PrinceHarry chooses big bucks over helping #WoundedWarriors. How the mighty have fallen. #Netflix #MeghanAndHarry #InvictusGames." A Twitter user who echoed the same sentiments also shared, "Yes it certainly appears @KensingtonRoyal that Meghan & Harry are for sale to the highest bidder. Sad the #InvictusGames legitimatized the #dukeofsussex as a young leader and he threw it away for $$$. Very sad. @ClarenceHouse."



 

"'Markled' is new term of being ditched, but after today Harry deserved his term too, for 'bottom of the bottoms'. Great job, Harry, you and your wife really will get into history books. As sleaziest couple ever. #Netflix #Invictusgames #megxit," commented another. 



 

An Invictus spokesperson said that the event had been "shelved" due to the coronavirus pandemic as well as a decision independent of the Netflix deal. "The event was shelved because the primary revenue generator was ticket sales from a live concert in Los Angeles in the spring of 2021. Given current circumstances with Covid, the event needed to be reconceptualized. This was an independent decision made prior to a partnership with Netflix. The duke remains committed as ever to the Invictus Games," The Sunday Times reports. 

A source spoke to the publication and said, "It's very bad form and everyone at Invictus is gutted. Harry said yes to doing this last year and everything was still moving forwards until a few weeks ago. This was going to be a big moment for Invictus where the pot is pretty empty, and it has left them in the lurch. Harry needs to pull his finger out to find another way to raise funds for them."

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514