14-year-old Russian girl dies after her charging phone falls into bathtub filled with water electrocuting her

14-year-old Yulia Vysotskaya was charging her cell phone while she was in the bathtub at her family home in Cheboksary, Russia, when the device slipped out of her hands and into the water


                            14-year-old Russian girl dies after her charging phone falls into bathtub filled with water electrocuting her

A schoolgirl in Russia tragically drowned in the bathtub after she suffered a massive electric shock when her phone fell into the water after she dropped it by accident.

14-year-old Yulia Vysotskaya was charging her cell phone while she was in the bathtub at her family home in Cheboksary, Russia, when the device slipped out of her hands and into the water. According to sources, her devastated parents immediately "called an ambulance but paramedics were only able to register the schoolgirl's death and take her body to the morgue".

The Daily Mail reported that this was the third event of this nature that took place in the country in a little over a year in spite of public warnings from multiple experts about the risks of using smartphones in the bathroom. One expert even cautioned the public that the risks are like "Russian roulette".

Relaxing in a bath with your mobile phone plugged in is like playing Russian roulette, according to an engineer (Source: Pexels)
Relaxing in a bath with your mobile phone plugged in is like playing Russian roulette, according to an engineer (Source: Pexels)

In December last year, 15-year-old Russian martial arts champion Irina Rybnikova died instantaneously after she used her iPhone that was plugged into a charger next to the bathtub at her home in Bratsk, Siberia. The teen had been a champion fighter in pankration, which is a form of "no rules" boxing and wrestling that began in ancient Greece.

Earlier in 2018, 12-year-old Kseniya P was also electrocuted while she was listening to music from her charging phone while she was in the bathtub in the Bolshoe Gryzlovo village in the Serpukhovsky district of the Moscow region. Her mother had been cooking the evening meal when she became worried about her daughter's silence. She went into the bathroom and found her child "already dead with her head under the water". The phone was found floating in the bathtub.

Cheboksary, Russia (Source: iStock by Getty Images)
Cheboksary, Russia (Source: iStock by Getty Images)

Andrey Stanovsky, an electronics engineer, has warned that "relaxing in a bathroom with your mobile phone plugged is like playing Russian roulette". After Irina died, the Head of the Radio-Electronic Department of Irkutsk State University, Yury Agrafonov, said: "Water is a good conductor... This is why there was a short circuit when the phone fell into the water. If the phone had not been plugged in to 220 volts, the tragedy would not have happened."