North Carolina man who loved riding on top of trains is decapitated after being hit by bridge as train passed underneath it

24-year-old Varcy Locklear's skull was found only on December 11, more than a month after the incident of October 30

                            North Carolina man who loved riding on top of trains is decapitated after being hit by bridge as train passed underneath it

Skeletal remains found along train tracks in Robeson County, North Carolina, belonged to a man who was killed while riding on top of a train, a medical examiner has confirmed.

Twenty four-year-old Varcy Locklear of Pembroke is believed to have been surfing on top of an Amtrak car on October 30, and was killed when hit by a bridge in St. Paul's as the train passed beneath it.

According to local news outlet WRAL, Locklear was a stowaway on the train that fateful day when he struck the bridge, fell off the train, and ended up underneath it.

He was decapitated as a result of the mishap, with his body found the same day between railroad tracks about 128 miles away in Enfield. His skull would only be found more than a month later, on December 11, by a survey crew working near the 1200 block of Heritage Road, where he supposedly died.

Investigators say, after the accident, the 24-year-old's body remained on top of the train for a short amount of time before falling off when the locomotive moved through a track switching area. The theory is bolstered by blood spatters on the roof. 

After the skull was found in Robeson County, authorities said they had been asked to consult dental records to check if the remains belonged to Sara Nicole Graham, a former deputy's daughter, who mysteriously went missing when she was 19-years-old in 2015 and who hasn't been seen or heard from since. However, the North Carolina Medical Examiner's Office soon revealed that the remains belonged to Locklear.

The Daily Mail reported that the 24-year-old was known to police as someone who would often hop trains without buying a ticket. He had also been charged with trespassing multiple times, with Enfield Police Capt. Dreher Bozard quoted saying, "He has been charged, and he's also been warned several times about trespassing on train property, so he has a history of this. He also has gone on Facebook before and posted a video on Facebook live of him standing in front of a train and jumping out of the way at the last second."

Speaking of the incident, Amtrak spokeswoman Kimberly Woods said the accident had caused the company to temporarily suspend services. "Service on an Amtrak train was temporarily suspended at the request of local law enforcement," she said.

"The train was cleared to resume service about 46 minutes later," she continued. "At the time of the incident, 99 customers were on the train. There are no reported injuries to customers or crew members."

Enfield Police detective Willie Murphy said Locklear's death was still under investigation but that the department does not believe there was foul play involved in the incident. "It's a bizarre case. [Investigators] were shocked like anybody else would be to see anything of that magnitude," he said.

The 24-year-old has already been laid to rest, with funeral services completed on December 6.