‘He was her world’: 1-yr-old boy dies alone from dehydration DAYS after drug addict mom died inhaling lighter fluid

An investigation on September 6 revealed that her son may have been alive for two to three days after his mother died

‘He was her world’: 1-yr-old boy dies alone from dehydration DAYS after drug addict mom died inhaling lighter fluid
Natalie Kane and her 14-month-old son Harry were found dead in their flat (Natalie Kane/Facebook)
ADVERTISEMENT

LONDON, ENGLAND: On December 30, 2021, Natalie Kane and her 14-month-old son Harry were found dead in their Whitehaven flat, Cumbria.The mother-son duo who was supposed to celebrate their Christmas together reportedly but did not reach a friend's house. Kane, who was getting supporting services for drug addiction, did not respond to messages on Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT

An inquest on Tuesday, September 6 revealed that the son died due to dehydration after being left alone for days while his mother reportedly died  after inhaling lighter fluid. She had previously suffered from drug addiction, but, a prescribed test a week before her death indicated she had no drugs other than her prescribed methadone. Their bodies were discovered several days later. According to DailyMail, paramedics were "visibly upset" after witnessing the bodies of the two.

ADVERTISEMENT

READ MORE

Bodies of mother and 8-year-old son found stuffed INSIDE COUCH days after they disappeared

Leon Brown: Boy, 14, found dead by mom after trying same ‘blackout challenge’ that killed Archie Battersbee

ADVERTISEMENT

 

Kane stayed away from drugs and has been actively seeking help (Natalie Kane/Facebook)
Kane stayed away from drugs and has been actively seeking help (Natalie Kane/Facebook)

 

Who was Natalie Kane?

As per authorities, Kane had grown up in Cumbria and attended Maryport Primary School. She then spent time in the Sea Cadets which allowed her to travel across different countries. She was also a model. Later, she decided to join the army as a lorry driver before being discharged due to alcohol issues. The 27-year-old suffered from depression throughout her life and was receiving support from Recovery Steps Cumbria and Women Out West after suffering from drug addiction and domestic abuse.

ADVERTISEMENT

What happened on Christmas eve?

The inquest was told that Kane was very excited for a first 'proper' Christmas with Harry and had bought lots of presents for him. Her brother Scott said  "She was one of the best mams I've ever seen. She was so loving, thoughtful and caring. The last year of her life revolved around Harry." After Harry's birth, Kane stayed away from drugs and has been actively seeking help.

ADVERTISEMENT

On Christmas, she had planned to visit another friend, Stacey Hackett, with Harry, but stopped responding to messages on the previous evening. However, Hackett was not concerned as this was not unusual and she believed the dup may have gone to spend time with their family. On December 30, she throught something was wrong as Kane had not picked up a prescription or been in contact with any of the support services. Later, police were contacted and Kane's neighbors said that they had not seen her for days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Upon getting into the apartment, which was unlocked, a paramedic saw a substance in her nose and bottles of lighter fluid, which looked similar to the substance. Harry's body was found in the bathroom. After the postmortem, it was believed that Harry may have survived for two to three days after his mother's death before succumbing to the effects of dehydration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Statement from Inquest

Coroner's Assistant Margaret Taylor said, "What we will never know is why Natalie used that butane. She'd done so well, she'd changed her life around, she clearly wasn't abusing heroin which had been her drug of choice." She added, "Natalie Kane died at her home address on an unknown time between December 24 and 25 after succumbing to the effect of voluntary inhalation of butane. Harry died as a consequence of dehydration having been left alone following the death of his mother."

ADVERTISEMENT

Share this article: ‘He was her world’: 1-yr-old boy dies alone from dehydration DAYS after drug addict mom died inhaling lighter fluid