'My heart goes out': 18 children injured as horrifying fire breaks out at illegal NYC daycare

'My heart goes out': 18 children injured as horrifying fire breaks out at illegal NYC daycare
17 children had minor injuries and 1 child was rushed to the hospital because of the fire (New York Post/video screenshot)

QUEENS, NEW YORK CITY: On Wednesday, a fire broke out in a residence in Queens that was being used as an unauthorized childcare center. According to officials and sources, 18 children were injured in the fire, and one of them was taken to the hospital in critical condition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Shortly after 2 pm, a fire broke out in the basement of a two-story home on 147-07 72nd Drive in Kew Gardens Hills, and FDNY officials and sources said it was likely started by a lithium-ion battery from an electric scooter.

READ MORE 

Pennsylvania siblings, aged 9 and 6, killed in house fire, mom survives by jumping from second floor

Two children among 3 killed in three-alarm house fire in Pittsburgh's Brighton Heights neighborhood

The New York Fire Department confirmed that one youngster was taken to Cornell Hospital for treatment of smoke inhalation. Deputy Assistant Chief Stacy Scanlon of the FDNY said that the other 17 children were in stable condition and "refused medical assistance on the site."

ADVERTISEMENT

According to Eye Witness News, the neighbors said they watched as toddlers were rushed out of the burning home. Annie Philip, one of the neighbors, said, "That was scary to see a whole bunch of kids coming out, I saw one in a blanket, that the firefighter took I think, he was running with him," According to Phillip, the smoke was so dense that she had to shut the door down the block to prevent it from filling her house.

As soon as the incident took place and the news broke out on the internet, there was a flood of opinions and reactions to the story as people expressed their opinion on the incident. "I bet that illegal daycare that caught fire in queens will not be heard about again!" wrote one Twitter user, while another commented, "Once again…the electric carriages…"

ADVERTISEMENT



 



 

ADVERTISEMENT

People were furious about the lack of action on the use of such vehicles. One such angry user wrote, "The proposed City Council bill (Gale Brewer) is weak. No consequences for the use of refurbished batteries. Or sales between individuals." Another user wrote, "Yet another fire in Queens due to an e-bike, this time at a daycare center. Over a dozen children were hurt, and our thoughts and prayers go out to them for a full recovery. We need meaningful action now to address the safety of these devices!"



 

ADVERTISEMENT



 

 

Adrienne Adams, the speaker of the NYC Council, tweeted, "My heart goes out to the children and families impacted by today's fire in Kew Gardens Hills. This @nyccouncil

ADVERTISEMENT

has remained focused on advancing solutions to curb preventable fires so the City does all it can to keep New Yorkers safe."



 

Share this article: 'My heart goes out': 18 children injured as horrifying fire breaks out at illegal NYC daycare