Mother whose baby 'drowned in a bath' was on the phone with her girlfriend for 'almost 50 minutes'
One-year-old Rosie Morris tragically died when she fell unconscious while she was in the bathtub with her twin at mom Sarah Morris' home in Flintshire, Wales, in 2015
A mother who is on trial for manslaughter after one of her two twin babies "drowned in a bath", has now told a judge that she "didn't think anything bad would happen".
One-year-old Rosie Morris tragically died when she fell unconscious while she was in the bathtub with her twin at their mother, Sarah Morris' home in Flintshire, Wales, in 2015. The 35-year-old Sarah had been on the phone with her girlfriend in Manchester for 47 minutes while the twins were in the bathtub for an hour.
Mold Crown Court heard that when she heard the sound of a plug being pulled from the bathroom, she went in and found her daughter lying unconscious on her back, Daily Mail reported. According to the mother, the water had been about waist high and there had never been an issue like this before.
Prosecutor Oliver Saxby QC revealed during the trial last week, however, that there was nothing for the children to use in the bathroom to support themselves. He said: "The baby didn't have any child support with them in the bathroom to stabilize or prevent her from falling over. She was left in an extremely vulnerable position."
As the trial continued on March 12, Morris said that she had been in and out of the bathroom at the time supervising the children and had been playing with baby Rosie. She broke down in tears as she told the court that she had tried to revive her unconscious baby before running into the street for help.
Rosie Morris died while having a bath with her twin and a court heard their mum was on the phone for 47 minutes to her girlfriend in Manchester.https://t.co/H6Qrdaoisx— The Daily Record (@Daily_Record) March 11, 2019
Neighbors and paramedics had come rushing to her aid but according to Morris, she "was in a bad state, a really bad state".
Little Rosie was in cardiac arrest when she arrived at Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan. Her mother denied gross negligence manslaughter as well as a child cruelty charge. During the cross-examination, however, Saxby said that Morris had been previously told on two separate occasions in the past four months of the dangers of leaving such young children unattended in the bath. He asked her: "Leaving these two unattended in the bath for any length of time was extremely dangerous wasn't it?"
Saxby then said that the mother had been popping in and out of various rooms in the home and had essentially lost track of time. He also said that she had "not been thinking of them [the twins] enough". Morris said to this: "Of course I did, these were my children and I loved them. I didn't think anything bad would happen."
Pathologist Dr. Brian Rodgers said while giving evidence, that in the absence of some of the chief causes of drowning, he gave the child's cause of death as being consistent with drowning taking into account the manner in which she was found.
In a police interview that took place after the incident, Morris said that she was in the kitchen "doing the washing and heating the towels so they were warm when she got out of the bath" before she found her child.
She also told officers that it was after she went to her bedroom to have a cigarette that she thought she heard the plug being pulled in the bathroom. She went in to check what had happened and that's when the mother found Rosie lying on her back in the bathtub.
The court also heard that she told doctors in the hospital where her daughter was taken that she only left the twins unattended for five minutes to get some towels when she found the girl lying in the bathtub on her back. The trial continues.