'Monster of Worcester' who murdered three children before impaling their corpses granted parole

67-year-old David McGreavy will walk out of prison a free man around Christmas time after a parole board accepted his application this year.

                            'Monster of Worcester' who murdered three children before impaling their corpses granted parole

A man dubbed the 'Monster of Worcester' and who was sentenced to multiple life terms in prison with a minimum of 20 years for the brutal murders of three young children in 1973 has been cleared for release by the prison parole board and will soon walk out a free man.

The board released a statement that confirmed the release, saying, "We can confirm that a panel of the Parole Board has directed the release of David McGreavy following an oral hearing. Parole Board decisions are solely focused on whether a prisoner would represent a significant risk to the public after release. Public safety is our No1 priority."

McGreavy will be released after spending 45 years behind bars (Source: Wikipedia)
McGreavy will be released after spending 45 years behind bars (Source: Wikipedia)

According to the Daily Mail, the now-67-year-old McGreavy murdered four-year-old Paul Ralph and his two sisters, two-year-old Dawn and nine-month-old Samantha, in a fit of rage after one of them would not stop crying. A family friend of the children's parents, he had been babysitting the kids when he flipped and violently killed them — Paul was strangled, Dawn suffered a cut across her throat, and Samantha had a compound fracture to her skull.

After killing the children, McGreavy then reportedly went down to the basement to retrieve a pickaxe and further mutilated their bodies before impaling their corpses on the spikes of a wrought iron fence in a neighbor's yard.

He was apprehended by the police a few hours later and confessed to the murders, telling them, "It was me, but, it wasn't me." He later pleaded guilty to the killings in court, with the hearing lasting all of eight minutes, and was sentenced to multiple life terms in prison.

The news that he had applied for a parole in 2013 — 40 years into his sentence — generated significant public interest and resulted in the lifting of an anonymity order that had been imposed four years prior. The parole board was receptive to the application because he was said to have successfully adjusted, accepted rehab, and engaged in painting, and now it's emerged that they have granted his request for release.


The children's mother, Elsie Urry, was angered by the decision, telling the Sun, "I was told he’d never go free. What this animal did to my children was every bit as bad as what the Moors Murderers did. But Ian Brady and Myra Hindley never left prison before they died so why the hell should he?"

"He put my babies on spikes for God’s sake — he mutilated them and they died in agony," she continued. "I wanted him dead and to ­suffer like they had but was reassured after his trial that his crime was so terrible he would never walk free again. But despite begging them to keep him locked up, I have now finally been betrayed."

McGreavy has been eligible for parole since 1993 but saw his numerous previous applications — the most recent of which was filed in 2016 — rejected. However, this time around, the parole board ruled McGreavy had "changed considerably" and that he no longer posed "a significant risk to the public."

A document obtained by the tabloid detailed the parole's reasoning further, stating he had "developed self-control, as well as a considerable understanding of the problems that he has had and what caused them." It also cited a psychologist who said it was unlikely McGreavy would re-offend in the future.

McGreavy, who is currently incarcerated at the category C Warren Hill prison near Woodbridge, is scheduled to be released to a bail hostel after Christmas.