Mike Pompeo quarantined right after his indoor holiday party goes bust, Internet says 'Karma's a b***h'
After the backlash for hosting holiday parties during a pandemic, Pompeo not only canceled his scheduled address at the Tuesday event but he and his wife, Susan, skipped it altogether
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has been forced to quarantine after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus. The State Department in its press briefing also clarified that he "has been tested and is negative."
"Secretary Pompeo has been identified as having come into contact with someone who tested positive for COVID," a State Department spokesperson said. "For reasons of privacy, we can't identify that individual. The Secretary has been tested and is negative. In accordance with CDC [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] guidelines, he will be in quarantine. He is being closely monitored by the Department's medical team."
The secrecy around who Pompeo came in contact with also extends to when and where Pompeo was exposed to the virus. This news came right after the top diplomat faced censure for deciding to host a massive indoor holiday party for family members of diplomats stationed at dangerous posts overseas. 900 invites were sent out but the event itself was sparsely attended because of fears that it would be another superspreader event like the White House Rose Garden event is alleged to have been.
After the backlash, Pompeo not only canceled his scheduled address at the party but he and his wife, Susan Pompeo skipped the event altogether. However, the party itself was not canceled and he had Deputy Secretary of State Stephen Biegun attend to give remarks in his stead.
Roughly 70 people RSVP’d for the party and even fewer showed up, according to reports. Since then, Pompeo's office has canceled two separate holiday parties for foreign ambassadors in Washington that were scheduled to take place at the department on December 16. Pompeo was scheduled to speak at both events, according to reports.
Pompeo has been lax about protocols in general. Besides violating the State Department’s own pandemic-related guidelines about "virtual events as opposed to in-person gatherings", his social distancing record is patchy. He has also appeared in public without a mask. Government health officials have urged people not to attend indoor gatherings amid the pandemic which has killed more than 300,000 Americans and infected nearly 16 million across the United States.
Mike Pompeo had earlier also been in the spotlight for his "Madison Dinners". He and his wife Susan threw a series of dinner parties at the State Department full of Republican donors and right-wing power players. They reportedly billed taxpayers more than $40,000 for these events.
Twitter users were quick to comment on Pompeo being quarantined after hosting such events in the past. One tweet remarked: "Pompeo was exposed to someone with COVID and has to quarantine. Karma", while another user queried: "Is Pompeo really quarantining or is he just sulking because only 70 people out of 900 attended his Christmas party. What kind of baboon’s a** invites 900 people to a party in the middle of a pandemic anyway?" Another angry tweet said: "Karma’s a b***h, eh Mike? Your little indoor #SuperSpreader event goes bust. #GOP farewell party is cancelled due to #COVID19 reality that you, #fata**hat #BiggestLoser denied."
Pompeo was exposed to someone with COVID and has to quarantine. Karma— Marcia B (@MarciaBadowski) December 16, 2020
Is Pompeo really quarantining or is he just sulking because only 70 people out of 900 attended his Christmas party.— kipling fitzcaraldo (@KFitzcaraldo) December 16, 2020
What kind of baboon’s ass invites 900 people to a party in the middle of a pandemic anyway?
Karma’s a bitch, eh Mike? Your little indoor #SuperSpreader event goes bust. #GOP farewell party is cancelled due to #COVID19 reality that you, #fatasshat #BiggestLoser denied. @SecPompeo #SuckItGOP 🤣#TrumpIsALaughingStock #BidenWonDonaldLost #packyourbags https://t.co/mEraZ8fKrI— PrObama (@proadstudio) December 16, 2020
Pompeo has also canceled a number of upcoming appointments this week. He was going to attend President Donald Trump’s Cabinet meeting later on December 16. He also had tentatively planned to meet with President-elect Joe Biden’s nominee to succeed him, Antony Blinken, on December 17. The status of that meeting is currently not known. There is a strong possibility that instead of one-on-one exchanges, it will become a virtual meeting instead.