Washington man slits son's throat, tries to kill himself before telling wife he'll 'see her in the afterlife'

He waited until his wife's 24-hour shift ended at work in Seattle before murdering their eight-year-old son with a kitchen knife and calling her

                            Washington man slits son's throat, tries to kill himself before telling wife he'll 'see her in the afterlife'
Representational image (Getty Images)

REDMOND, WASHINGTON: A man has been pressed with first-degree murder charges after he allegedly killed his own son by slitting his throat. Omid Mola also reportedly tried to kill himself by slitting his throat but survived.

After brutally murdering his son and trying to take his life, the 38-year-old called his wife and told her, “he'd see her in the afterlife”. According to prosecutors, the accused waited until his wife’s 24-hour shift ended at work in Seattle on Tuesday evening, February 9, before murdering their son with a kitchen knife.

The victim has been identified as eight-year-old Mahan Mola, who reportedly tried to call his mother after the attack, but the phone disconnected, according to charging documents. The documents also mentioned that the woman only heard "gurgling" sounds during the six-second phone call. The woman then called Omid to cross-check and, at that time, he allegedly told her he slit his and their son’s throat and he'd "see her in the afterlife".


Maine woman shot and killed by longtime partner in murder-suicide 3 years after her parents died the same way

Ohio mother of 2 fatally shot in apparent murder-suicide by husband after he sent ‘alarming’ Facebook messages

The woman then called 911 as she drove home from her Seattle office. Police arrived at the scene in the 13600 block of 179th Avenue Northeast in unincorporated King County at 7.59 am. When they broke the door of the house, they found the child in a pool of blood on the floor while the accused was unresponsive but alive in a chair. Officers also recovered a knife from the scene.

Mahan was declared dead at the scene while Omid was taken to Harborview Medical Center, where he received treatment for his injuries. Later, he was booked into the King County Jail on Friday, February 12, afternoon. His bond has been set at $5 million. An autopsy revealed that the little boy died from blood loss or cardiac arrest.

According to reports, Omid bought the family’s four-bedroom house in the English Hill neighborhood east of Redmond in 2014. His LinkedIn profile stated that earned degrees from universities in Iran and Canada and was a senior program manager at Microsoft.

However, for the past year, he had been experiencing “manic episodes”. Though his wife said he had no violent history, some of his “manic episodes” lasted as long as days when he would research spirituality and philosophy. When Omid was interrogated by officers regarding the incident, he told them, "Allah”, and later claimed, "I lost my mind."

In another incident, a man from Oklahoma allegedly murdered his two teenage daughters before turning the gun on himself. David Kaser also reportedly called his wife and asked her, “How do you like that?” while shooting dead Clarissa Kaser, 19, and Crystal "Grey" Kaser, 14, before taking his own life. According to reports, the elder daughter had just passed from Charles Page High School, while her younger sister was a ninth-grade student at Clyde Boyd Middle School.

Sand Springs’ investigators received a call on February 9 afternoon from the accused’s wife, who was at work at the time. The mother of the teenagers also told investigators that problems were going on between her and her husband. He had threatened her earlier also, but nothing serious. An investigation into the incident has been launched.

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514