Man, 26, forces himself into 99-year-old woman’s apartment in San Francisco’s Chinatown and sexually assaults her
Teandre Howard-Kidd, a Bay Area maintenance worker, has been charged with first-degree burglary with intent to commit sexual assault, residential burglary, and elder abuse
A man accused of sexually assaulting a 99-year-old woman inside her own apartment in San Francisco's Chinatown has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Appearing for the first time in court on January 3, 26-year-old Teandre Howard-Kidd, a maintenance worker from the Bay Area, pleaded not guilty to three felony charges in connection to the attack on the elderly woman at the Ping Yeun housing project on New Year's Eve night.
However, prosecutors went into detail on the sexual assault in the court records that were filed on the same day.
According to the documents, on new year's eve Howard-Kidd knocked on the victim's door and then forced himself into her home. He is said to have washed his hands in her bathroom before laying down on her bed, taking off his pants and exposing himself to her, reported the San Francisco Examiner.
The prosecutors then said that Howard-Kidd proceeded to take off the elderly woman's pants and then forced himself on her. According to the court records, however, the victim is said to have swatted him away and told him that "her bones hurt and that she could not do it".
He was arrested by the authorities in the Tenderloin Station the following day after police officers recognized him from surveillance images of him entering the apartment wearing a blue vest and black and white striped pants.
Prosecutors also said that the man was dressed in the same clothes at the time he was arrested. The District Attorney's Office then charged him with first-degree burglary with intent to commit sexual assault, residential burglary, and elder abuse. He now faces up to life behind bars for the first count alone.
Superior Court Judge Raymond Arata ordered him to stay away from the housing project and the elderly victim. His bail was then set at $200,000, "knowing that he is not likely to make that".
Arata made his decision after Mark Jacobs, the deputy public defender, asked that his client be released from county jail without bail or that his cash bail is set to $10,000.
Jacobs implored in the court: "He’s not penniless but he has very little money."
Jennifer Frost, the assistant district attorney, has urged the judge to hold the suspect without bail or to set the bail amount to $1 million after citing the "egregious" nature of the case.
Frost also said that Howard-Kidd had been convicted before of illegal gun possession and is currently on probation from Alameda County for vehicle theft. Prosecutors said in court records that the man defended himself in an interview with the authorities.
He allegedly told the police that he had met the elderly victim twice before the attack and claimed that she told him, "You got me getting horny."
Howard-Kidd also denied exposing himself or pulling down her pants but, according to prosecutors, he admitted to entering and exiting by climbing over the wall. He also allegedly said that this was because of construction at the front of the building.