Video shows moment huge sinkhole opens up under swimming pool during party, leaves 1 dead
The deceased person has been identified as 32-year-old Klil Kimhi from Tel Aviv
An Israeli man lost his life after he was swallowed by a hole that appeared inside a swimming pool. The deceased person has been identified as 32-year-old Klil Kimhi from Tel Aviv, who was inside the pool at a house party at a villa in Karmei Yosef on Thursday, July 21, when he fell into the pit.
Another 34-year-old man was reportedly trapped inside the hole but luckily escaped death with "minor injuries to his head and limbs". A rescue operation was launched to save Kimhi but his body was recovered from the end of a 49ft (15m) tunnel hours later. Over 50 people were enjoying the party as the sinkhole emerged. They apparently had to get hold of something to not be sucked inside.
Magen David Adom (MDA) paramedic Uri Damari told The Jerusalem Post, “This is a very unusual incident. When I got to the scene I saw a pit that had opened at the bottom of the empty pool. People who were at the site told me that the pit opened suddenly and within a few seconds all the water of the pool was pulled in.”
“A 34-year-old man who pulled himself out of the pit was sitting outside the pool agitated. He suffered minor injuries to his head and limbs and after medical treatment we evacuated him to the hospital. The people who were at the scene know each other and reported to us that there is one person who is missing and special forces of the fire brigade are currently working to locate and rescue him from the pit,” Damari added.
Earlier, when Kimhi’s body was not found and rescue workers were trying hard to find him, Israel Fire and Rescue Services’ member Oren Shishitzky had told ynetnews: “As of now, there is a serious concern for the missing person, he apparently was pulled by the water into the sinkhole and to the underground tunnels under the structure.” At the time, it was also reported that besides the men, the pit also took in pool mattresses and other materials.
A partygoer said, “The water level suddenly started receding and a hole opened up, creating a vortex that swept two people inside.” Another added that “the ground just dropped... I watched two people disappear.” Meanwhile, BBC reported that a pair in their 60s, who are the owners of the pool, were detained on suspicion of causing death by negligence.
In another unrelated tragic incident, a 12-year-old American of Burmese descent died at the Summit Grove campground in Pennsylvania’s New Freedom in late June. Pau Khai’s body was found in a pool on June 30 after he vanished for over ten hours. An autopsy later determined that he drowned accidentally.
Following the incident, Regional Police Chief James Boddington said, “We have to take every precaution and treat everything as seriously as it could possibly be just in case, but at this point, we have no information that it’s anything other than an accident. But we’re certainly going to look into every aspect just to make sure.”
Florida teen hospitalized after possible shark attack just 60 miles from world's 'SHARK CAPITAL'
Summit Grove also issued a statement that read, “Our thoughts and prayers remain with the Khai family, Pau’s friends, and the Westminster Presbyterian Church community as we continue to collectively mourn and process this devastating loss. Nothing is more important to Summit Grove than the health and wellbeing of all who utilize the campus.”