19-year-old Oakland man arrested in Oceano Dunes shooting that left 6 injured
The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office has announced the arrest of Francisco Orozco of Oakland in connection with the shooting on charges of attempted murder.
Six people were injured when a gunman opened fire on a crowd of people gathered early Sunday morning at the Oceano Dunes State Vehicular Recreation Area, authorities said.
The San Luis Obispo County Sheriff’s Office has now announced the arrest of Francisco Orozco of Oakland in connection with the shooting on charges of attempted murder. Police officials reported that the shooting had taken place just after midnight.
The press release issued by the Sherrif's office stated, "The Sheriff's Office is leading this investigation, and is continuing to process evidence and interview witnesses. No further information is available at this time."
After the shooting incident, the public had been asked to stay clear of the area for the time being, since ambulances had been called to rescue five people, who had been badly injured. Sheriff spokesman Grace Norris didn't have an update on the conditions of the six people shot, but she added there were no fatalities so far.
The incident was reported at 12 a.m. when State Parks received 911 calls of shots fired at the dunes. Norris said there was a gathering in the south end of the dunes on Saturday night around the same time of the shooting. Moreover, detectives had been on the scene of the shooting on Sunday, conducting interviews and processing evidence.