Madeleine McCann investigators close in on 'foreign man' as 'new clue and suspect' emerge
Policia Judiciaria, the Portuguese police force, were joined by Scotland Yard officers in Porto recently. It is believed to be their first face-to-face meeting since the new suspect came to light
The kidnapping of Madeleine McCann in 2007 is one of the most heavily reported missing person cases in modern history and in a recent update, investigating officers have narrowed in on a "foreign man" who was in the Algarve when she went missing. According to local media reports, British and Portuguese police are set to investigate a "new clue and suspect".
The Correio de Manha newspaper has reported that detectives are now "nearer to knowing what happened to Madeleine". Policia Judiciaria, the Portuguese police force, were joined by Scotland Yard officers in Porto recently. It is believed to be their first face-to-face meeting since the new suspect came to light. It is not clear if the man's current whereabouts are known.
According to Mirror, a source said: "The British were here recently, there were talks at the PJ office in the city. It's all very secret but then it always is with the Madeleine McCann case. Only the police know who the suspect is." Earlier this month, the Home Office pledged another £300,000 ($382,260) in additional funding into the little girl's disappearance. So far, £12 million ($15million) has been spent by the police working on the unsolved case. The authorities are, meanwhile, said to have doubts on Madeleine being found alive.
Madeleine vanished on May 3, 2007, from her holiday apartment at Praia da Luz. The parents Kate and Gerry McCann have promised to carry on looking for the daughter "as long as it takes". Metro reported that they marked Madeline's 16th birthday last month. In a posting on the Official Find Maddie Campaign website, the couple from Rothley, Leicestershire, said, "The months and years roll by too quickly. Madeleine will be sixteen this month. It's impossible to put into words just how that makes us feel. There is comfort and reassurance though in knowing that the investigation continues and many people around the world remain vigilant."
Family spokesman Clarence Mitchell said, "Kate and Gerry have expressed their gratitude to the police for all the work they have done and continue to do in the search for their daughter."
"Thank you to everyone who continues to support us and for your ongoing hope and belief. For as long as it takes," they added.