About Us Contact Us Privacy Policy Terms of Use Accuracy & Fairness Corrections & Clarifications Ethics Code Your Ad Choices
© MEAWW All rights reserved

Kutin Gyimah: Killed NYC cabbie’s children kept asking mom why she was 'wearing black'

Detectives are still looking for the five people witnesses saw leaving the driver unconscious on the ground on August 13
Slain NYC cabbie and father-of-four Kutin Gyimah (R) with his wife Abigail Gyimah (L) and their children (GoFundMe)
Slain NYC cabbie and father-of-four Kutin Gyimah (R) with his wife Abigail Gyimah (L) and their children (GoFundMe)

NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK: The devastated family of a yellow cab driver who was found dead after a fatal blow to the head on Saturday, August 13, is pleading for someone to come forward with information that would lead to an arrest.

Investigators reviewed surveillance video showing Kutin Gyimah's final cab stop in Queens just before 6:30 am, near Beach 54 Street and Arverne Boulevard, where the 52-year-old father-of-four fought with a group over their ride fare. Detectives, however, are still looking for the five people witnesses saw leaving the cab driver unconscious on the ground Saturday morning.


Calls for Ian McKeever's arrest grow loud after he's identified as rider who beat carriage horse Ryder

David Perry: Brave taxi driver who spotted explosives locks suicide bomber in car

The surveillance footage showed Gyimah chasing after the five passengers, grabbing one in an attempt to stop the group from fleeing. However, the pack responded by beating up the driver, with one of them delivering a blow to the head that would send the cabbie to the ground, unable to regain consciousness. Emergency responders found Gyiah lying on the ground and rushed him to St John's Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.


Taxi union head Fernando Mateo said at a press conference Sunday morning, August 14, that Gyimah was still in the first couple hours of his work day when he was killed. The New York State Federation of Taxi Drivers has announced a $15,000 reward for information leading to an arrest and conviction, adding that all funeral expenses for the slain 52-year-old would be covered by the organization. The driver's wife Abigail Gyimah and their four kids attended the morning news conference, bringing family photos and remembering the family man who was snatched from them too soon. "He was my backbone. I am lost without him," Abigail said through tears.


Family members told the New York Post how the young kids of the tragic cabbie didn't know their father was dead until after the Sunday presser, where the oldest children cried thinking they were mourning someone else. “They were asking me, ‘Mommy, why are you wearing black? Where is Daddy?’ because they know that he goes to work today and tomorrow,” Abigail told the newspaper. 


CPS SHAME! Employee meant to PROTECT children is fired after telling girl, 14, to become a prostitute

'Can finally exhale': Padma Lakshmi 'relieved' ex-husband Salman Rushdie is off ventilator after brutal stabbing

The heartbroken widow described her late husband as "responsible,” “loving” and “caring” as she was flanked by more than a dozen relatives, friends, and fellow cab drivers. She recalled how he spent most of his free time with his children. “He didn’t rest throughout the pandemic — he was working,” the widow explained. “He was a good, good man. He was my backbone.” She told the Post that her husband would usually let hostile passengers go rather than confront them. “He would tell them to just go and drive off because he knows how crazy the city is,” she said. “‘Just leave them to go.’ I don’t know what happened this time.”

Abigail explained that she had no more tears left. “I’m not even having any tears anymore. I feel so lost,” she told The Post. “My kids’ hero is gone. What they’ve done to me, they’ve taken something so precious from me,” she said of her husband’s assailants. “All I want is justice for my husband. If I get justice, it’s not going to bring him back but at least I’ll get some closure that those who did it have been arrested.” An investigation into the incident is currently underway. Meanwhile, a GoFundMe campaign set up by the family's well-wishers has raised more than $73,000 of its $100,000 goal at the time of publication.