Convicted murderer Jodi Arias' case could be overturned because of alleged misconduct by prosecutor

The prosecutor on the case, Juan Martinez, is said to have allegedly leaked information to media personnel, including a blogger named Jennifer Wood, about the trial while it was going on as well as identified a juror


                            Convicted murderer Jodi Arias' case could be overturned because of alleged misconduct by prosecutor

An Arizona Appeals court has reportedly agreed to take a second look at the Jodi Arias murder case. According to CNN, there are two matters that are being looked at in the case, one is the criminal conviction and life imprisonment of Arias, while the other is alleged prosecutorial misconduct, prosecutors said in a statement. 

"These separately are being reviewed as part of complaints submitted to the Arizona State Bar," they said. Additionally, the internal matter involving sexual harassment of Maricopa County Attorney's Office employees has already resulted in an investigation, which was fully concluded and resulted in discipline."

Arias was sentenced to life in prison in 2015 for murdering her ex-boyfriend Travis Alexander in his home in 2008.

 Jodi Arias was convicted in the 2008 death of her former boyfriend. (Arizona Department of Corrections via AP, File)

The prosecutor on the case, Juan Martinez, is said to have allegedly leaked information to media personnel, including a blogger named Jennifer Wood, about the trial while it was going on, according to KNXV, CNN reported. 

He is reportedly facing disciplinary action. The Arizona State Bar said in a statement that they have referred the case to an independent counsel. Martinez was reassigned from homicide cases to handling auto theft cases in September.  The high profile prosecutor, who was accused of sexual harassment while working at the Maricopa County Attorney's Office, has had complaints that reportedly go back to 30 years. According to the Arizona State Bar's complaint, Martinez also identified a juror in Arias' case to Wood. He is also said to have allegedly mentioned that he would be disbarred if anyone found out. During Arias' trial, he also sexually harassed court employees and junior staff as well as interns.

 The prosecutor on the case, Juan Martinez, is said to have allegedly leaked information to media personnel, including a blogger named Jennifer Wood, about the trial while it was going on. (Facebook)

Arias was found guilty of first-degree murder charges after she killed her ex-boyfriend. According to the medical examiner, he had sustained 27 to 29 stab wounds, a slit throat, and had been shot in the head. He also had defensive wounds on his hands and the examiner also testified that there was a possibility he was already dead by the time he was shot. 

He had been shot with a  .25-caliber automatic Colt pistol, similar to the one stolen during a burglary at Arias' grandparents' home a month before the murder. She had said two years after her arrest that she had killed him in self-defense and that he was emotionally and physically abusing her. Her 2009 motion to disqualify the MCAO had been denied. 

The Appeals court will decide if Arias gets a new trial or not on October 17.

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514