A woman has been arrested in connection to the hit-and-run incident that killed 91-year-old Holocaust survivor Gennady Bolotsky, who was struck just a few steps away from his home. Bolotsky had survived the Nazis and had come to the US from Ukraine.
The woman, 68-year-old Joyce Bernann McKinney, has been charged with one felony count each of assault with a deadly weapon, an automobile, hit-and-run driving resulting in death and vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office said in a statement. The charges include an allegation that the defendant inflicted great bodily injury on the victim who was 70 years of age or older.
The police said that McKinney was originally arrested on June 21 on unrelated warrants for battery and public nuisance. The caller had said that her vehicle had matched the description of McKinney's car and was at the Burbank Airport. Cops said that she may have been living out of the white pick up truck that had plowed into the elderly man walking with his dog.
The footage also captured another man who was crossing the street at the same time as Bolotsky and witnessing the horrific accident but, like the driver, failing to stop and provide aid to an ailing Bolotsky. The Los Angeles Fire Department ultimately responded to the scene and transported the 91-year-old to a hospital, where he died.
According to ABC, this was the second time that Bolotsky had been involved in such an incident at the very same spot, which residents said was very accident-prone. He had been hit by a car 15 years ago at the spot and had survived.
The car had been caught on surveillance video hitting him, pausing and then running him over without rendering any aid. The incident occurred on June 17. Her arraignment is scheduled for July 5 in Department 100 of the Los Angeles County Superior Court, Van Nuys Branch. Bolotsky died as a result of his injuries and if convicted as charged, the defendant faces a possible maximum sentence of 11 years in state prison, the DA's office said. Deputy District Attorney Nathan Bartos is the assigned prosecutor for the case and it remains under investigation.