Who is Heritage High School shooter? 2 students shot, suspect in custody

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew reported that both victims were 17 years old and that their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening


                            Who is Heritage High School shooter? 2 students shot, suspect in custody
Officers responded to reports of a shooting at Heritage High School at 11:38 AM on Monday, September 20 (Image used for representation: Scott Olson/Getty Images)

NEWPORT NEWS, VIRGINIA: Two students were shot after gunfire erupted at Heritage High School on Monday, September 20. A boy was shot in the side of the face and a girl was shot in the lower leg. The suspect, a boy, is said to be arrested in connection with the shooting. Officers responded to reports of a shooting at Heritage High School at 11:38 AM on Monday.

Newport News Police Chief Steve Drew reported that both victims were 17 years old and that their injuries were not believed to be life-threatening. "Reports I just got from the hospital is that neither [wound] is considered life-threatening, and I thank God for that. That is the most important thing, " Drew said. A similar incident was reported at New Hanover High School in Wilmington, North Carolina where a 15-year-old student was taken into custody after he allegedly shot another student following a fight last month. A sixth-grader girl at Rigby Middle School in Idaho went on a shooting spree injuring three before being arrested in May. Earlier this month, former janitor Kristopher Clay of an Oregon school was arrested for stocking weapons for mass shootings. 

RELATED ARTICLES

New Hanover School shooting: 1 student injured, 15-year-old in custody

Santa Clarita High School shooting: Students describe horror as hundreds of them 'just ran as far away as possible'

No information about the suspect was immediately available. It is not known where he was arrested, though it was off-site from the school and a gun was recovered. It is not clear at the moment how the suspect managed to bring the gun into the school. Chief Drew earlier noted that the suspect and the victims knew each other and it didn't seem as though the shooter was looking to shoot others. “We do believe that they knew each other … I don’t believe that this is an individual that is searching the community to hurt members,” Drew said. He then noted he couldn't speculate further.

The school was evacuated following the incident. Two other people were reported to suffer non-gunshot-related injuries. Students were sent to the school’s tennis courts, where parents could meet their children. Nearby Achievable Dream Middle and High School were also placed on lockdown. No further information on the incident was immediately available. 

If you have a news scoop or an interesting story for us, please reach out at (323) 421-7514