Groom and five guests die MYSTERIOUSLY hours after wedding while bride and 7 others are hospitalized
When no one from the wedding showed up the next day, the neighbors broke down the front door and discovered them unresponsive with foam coming out of their mouths
ENUGU STATE, NIGERIA: A groom and five wedding guests mysteriously died after a wedding party while the bride and seven others were hospitalized. The wedding of Obinna Dieke and his wife, Nebechi, took place on Friday, August 26.
During Dieke, 33, and his wife Nebechi's wedding, 14 of their guests were knocked unconscious and had froth coming from their mouths, according to the police. On Saturday, August 27, six people, including the groom, were declared dead in the Adani Community in the Uzo-Uwani Local Government Area of Enugu State's Akutara, according to Nigeria's Premium Times. Nebechi is still receiving medical care along with seven other guests.
The guests are thought to have returned to the home of the bride and groom, to attend another celebration after the wedding ceremony but were poisoned by a generator's carbon monoxide leak. When no one from the wedding showed up the following day, according to police spokesperson Daniel Ndukwe, the neighbors broke down the front door.
Photo Of Groom Who Perished Alongside his kinsmen After His Traditional Wedding In Enugu.— Ogbaru Youths Arise (O.Y.A) (@OgbaruA) August 30, 2022
A groom, identified as Obinna Dieke, a businessman based at Markudi and his five relatives have d!ed hours after his traditional wedding in Enugu as they were returning home. pic.twitter.com/GKEgOOEere
"They were immediately moved to the hospital, where six of them were confirmed dead and deposited in the mortuary for preservation and autopsy, while the others are responding to treatment," Ndukwe stated. Joseph Ogbonna, his two sons Chijindu and Obinna, were among those killed, according to BBC Pidgin.
The victims are believed to have died from carbon monoxide poisoning, according to a local official who wished to remain confidential. "It was raining and there was a generator outside," the anonymous local said. "They brought the generator inside the corridor. So, since they were drinking and didn't know the implication of bringing the generator in the corridor, and then they slept."
"I think maybe carbon oxide filled the whole room. It was people that went there to greet them in the morning that broke the door and saw them all unconscious," the local added. He claimed that some of them recovered after being taken by ambulance to a local hospital in the neighborhood. "But six people died in the hospital," he added.
Ahmed Ammani, the state's commissioner of police, has ordered an investigation into the matter, according to Ndukwe. Ammani sent his condolences to the deceased's family members. He urged the residents to give the police "necessary information" in order to keep the peace and assist them in their investigation.